Exhaust drone - options?

G6JOJ

I've got an eBay style drone box fitted by previous owner.

Was thinking I could just get an exhaust place to cut the pipes after the boxes and make a Y-piece to feed them both into the same tail pipe. 

I don't mean Kwikfit, I mean a custom exhaust shop.

Similar to the x-pipe above.

Edited by DaveyP

On 9/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, brillomaster said:

If it comes through then great, my ebay dronemeister exhaust was £120 secondhand which i thought was a good deal! And after a year or so the drone does go down a bit/you learn to drive around it...

I don’t even notice any drone on mine at motorway speed after 10k, even at the 2700rpm resonance. 

2 minutes ago, edc said:

If the 2.7 tip fits over the pipework you could just have the tips cut off and the 2.7 oval welded over the ends. 

But would that stop the drone? 

I suppose what I'm saying is, is it just a reverberation at the tailpipe which causes the drone, or do the pipes have to be balanced further forward?

2 minutes ago, DaveyP said:

But would that stop the drone? 

I suppose what I'm saying is, is it just a reverberation at the tailpipe which causes the drone, or do the pipes have to be balanced further forward?

No it won't do anything for the drone. Look at any facelift top closely and you will see at the rear there are gaps and plenty of air and daylight can pass through. They are more like loose fitting sleeves. 

13 hours ago, Boxster1977 said:

Well I decided to order the Fabspeed Porsche 986 Boxster Supercup Street Exhaust System with Sport Catalytic Converters and black satin tips from USA, pricey, but excited to get it on.

I have heard a few videos with the Fabspeed Supercup  fitted to 986 Boxster’s and I thought they sounded fantastic. It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Fabspeed after having it fitted 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Boxster1977 said:

I've had the Fabspeed exhaust fitted and it's made the engine light come on, any ideas on how to remove or the reason.  Fabspeed say it shouldn't cause CEL.

Can you get an OBD read as to what the code is?

59 minutes ago, Boxster1977 said:

I've had the Fabspeed exhaust fitted and it's made the engine light come on, any ideas on how to remove or the reason.  Fabspeed say it shouldn't cause CEL.

Air leak at one of the gaskets? I’ve read that sometimes the lambda sensors need extension tubes to stop error codes.

Does it still have cats or sports cats? Ekinabte the leaks first but if one of the above then the right angle lambda spacer on the rear ones will probably work. 

Thanks for the information, I'll check code on Monday.  It now has 200 cell sports cats too fabspeed.  Here is a little video of how it sounds.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02XCmoDWfmRTiS9D25EkZhQewJCmx6u9qb8xi8ybtjhEs9bfcuoJaZqh1CPE41E5fbl&id=100065667431697

Edited by Boxster1977

Which cars? The exhaust is down stream of the lambdas so shouldn't affect the CEL. Check the thread but you need something like this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125433554329?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=buqs8anmq0w&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fHQFeQRHS5W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 11/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, Cybot7 said:

I’m considering these. Apparently they’ll fit them for £225+VAT

Anyone got experience of the product? I know the company has a good reputation  

https://www.spyderperformance.co.uk/shop/exhausts/valvetronic-sets/porsche-986-boxster-spyder-performance-exhaust-bypass-valve-set/

Watch this

I suspect its horrendously loud which is unsurprising considering that it's effectively bypassing the silencer.  At least its switchable though & great if you like that sort of thing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Watch this

I suspect its horrendously loud which is unsurprising considering that it's effectively bypassing the silencer.  At least its switchable though & great if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks for the link. It’s certainly not quiet. Glad it retains the original sound as it would be very tiring all of the time