Prices Softening

Virglas

WBAC/BCA still quoting too high on the lease cars I run.

OPC's have now changed their "approved used" to up to 6 years old and actively pinging social media.

There is no excess of cars anywhere.  Most lead times for fleet are 12 months, once you actually place an order (ie not the 30 weeks the salesmen quote) I often get orders pushed out further and cars delivered not to ordered spec. OR even cancelled completely, after 11 months on order !

There is a huge shortage of hire cars too, as garages are waiting 6+ weeks for parts to repair.

I see YouTube videos of self appointed American experts stating prices are going down, but I don't see how when demand is greater than supply.

1 minute ago, Oldboy 63 said:

Friend of mine was looking at a Skoda estate nothing fancy.Was quoted 40 weeks,if a non standard ish colour a lot longer.

I've been waiting for my new company Octavia estate since November (Plug in hybrid right enough), currently stating that it will be December this year.  Its been pushed back 3 times now.  So I'd say 40 weeks would be lucky

3 minutes ago, MickH said:

I've been waiting for my new company Octavia estate since November (Plug in hybrid right enough), currently stating that it will be December this year.  Its been pushed back 3 times now.  So I'd say 40 weeks would be lucky

Salesman talk😁

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, the majority of fleet cars I was talking about are plug in hybrid due to the better BIK tax for the drivers.

They will quote you sill y short lead times for full electric as the manufacturers are desperate for their tax credits.

VAG group seem to plan in quarters, so allocation of build slots gets pushed back 3 months at a time.  I have a few VAG orders well over 12 months old, and still waiting for even an estimated delivery date. 

All the manufacturers want to do is upsell to a full electric and tell me the consumer is only buying full electric now...blah..blahh.. The support on full electric is horrifically poor.

I've rejected a 6 week old Mercedes after 2 months waiting a new motor. Polestar abducted a car after so many faults they gave up.  But they wouldn't replace or refund or anything !

Have prices softened, nope ! But they may have slightly slowed down as the summer draws to an end - just like they do every year.

My 981 is worth the same as 18 months ago, with similar high spec examples advertised for more than I gave the OPC 5 almost 5 years ago!

1 hour ago, MickH said:

I ordered a Skoda Enyaq back in July 2021. It arrived towards the end of June this year - almost (but not quite!) 12 months wait. I was told the wiring looms were made in Ukraine and the windshield from a supplier in Russia! Not sure how true this is though.

Good luck with your Octavia.

• Like 1

I agree with @Patt - I put 3 Lexus Hybrids on our salesman's fleet this year and they were eventually delivered in 50 weeks. I'm being quoted 52 weeks minimum for any more.

As for hire cars, we have some of our drivers who deliver using trains for return as one-way hires are rarely available any more and are often cancelled the day before the hire.

We build on Trucks where I work and we are now into Q3 2023 for any new orders.

So demand is certainly outreaching supply in my experience and this will keep prices up for the foreseeable future.

33 minutes ago, Bferry70 said:

I ordered a Skoda Enyaq back in July 2021. It arrived towards the end of June this year - almost (but not quite!) 12 months wait. I was told the wiring looms were made in Ukraine and the windshield from a supplier in Russia! Not sure how true this is though.

Good luck with your Octavia.

All BS excuses.

Pilkington and Saint-Gobain are the largest manufacturer of Windscreens - Both manufacture in Europe or UK 

Wiring looms can be made anywhere ! I have had looms qualified and into production within 3 weeks from Slovakia in large quantities.

I had one company try to tell me that the X-Box chips were used in their cars.....until I pointed out they have no need for that graphics power and the new console had been any shelf for 8 months at least !

They now now not to mention "semiconductor shortages" as I pull that to pieces.  Basically they use what ever excuse is trending on social media or the false news reported on TV.

Bottom line is every production line world wide is run by accountants that do not allow for excess stocks, they concentrate on penny pinching and stock turns to keep the cash flow and profit reports high.  When a global pandemic shuts off manufacturing or distribution for 18-24 months NO amount of planning will pick up that shortfall.

You cannot catch up that much demand without cancelling orders, or pushing out to unacceptable lead times.  But most try to string along with the latest excuse.

There will be much more of this come winter and the next BS for energy increases, whilst we continue to export our own rather than use it.

Prices of the cayman s 981 seem to be pretty much the same as when I bought last December but the 718 4.0 GTS’s I am keeping an eye on are coming down. That is what I would expect from both given their respective ages.

I guess it’s all car, model spec dependent. 

The WBAC offer on my 2013 Boxster is now less than I paid for it in early 2020, after a high of almost £5k more (that I saw at least).

I was quite disappointed when I saw the price drop, not that I'm seriously looking to sell but I am always browsing...

46 minutes ago, Rob™ said:

The WBAC offer on my 2013 Boxster is now less than I paid for it in early 2020, after a high of almost £5k more (that I saw at least).

I was quite disappointed when I saw the price drop, not that I'm seriously looking to sell but I am always browsing...

I would use autotrader as the benchmark as pricing reflects options which massively alters the price of these cars. 

58 minutes ago, Cabby said:

I think pricing on discretionary spend purchases are softening. As an example, the Rolex market has seen some substantial price drops already.

We might be able to afford a 4.0 GTS by the end of this winter?!

Indeed all luxury goods have slipped and I think will slip a fair bit further. Until people can see a light at the end of the tunnel many will be tightening purse strings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I literally have orders on the VAG group from last June - still awaiting allocation for a build slot !

Last week I had a Land Rover crushed be the delivery driver - lowered the top ramp too much ! That driver ordered first week of December last year.  He now has to start again !

Yet I can get the odd Merc and BMW in about 4-5 months ! 

It all depends on the exact spec and even colour ordered.  Strangely they seem to have built the new 3 series in white first.

I'm still experiencing very poor customer service from dealerships, they seem to forget I talk to the manufacturers directly.

I have a Land Rover that the dealer has has since July, yet I'm struggling to get it delivered.

We have 300 vans awaiting hifi's although I'm told Ford have built over 3000 in the same scenario.

It's all madness

2 hours ago, Flyingdutchman55 said:

We ordered a new VW Golf Gti last September and was quoted a delivery around the end of

March +/- ....... by the salesperson..Currently we are now being told week 17, 2023 for the build date, but they can't  confirm this.

..which roughly translated means they have no idea and have not scheduled anything as of yet either,  I'd be off and get something else - which is exactly what I did do..

Just now, GTSMarky said:

..which roughly translated means they have no idea and have not scheduled anything as of yet either,  I'd be off and get something else - which is exactly what I did do..

Depends if you want to buy or lease..  Keep an eye here: UK's Biggest Car Lease Comparison Site | Millions of Deals | LeaseLoco

BMW M135i, A35 AMG are both available now!!

I very nearly went the AMG route, but really wanted a bit more space to carry cr*p so got yet another A4 Avant..

I don’t think it’s reasonable for them to insist on holding it, when they are fully responsible for such a delay. 

Ask them to get out of it, saying the delay is no longer reasonable and you consider yourself no longer bound by it. They should give the lot back, even if they might say they'll keep 150 for admin fee... Ask Citizens Advice for any details.

Edited by Menoporsche
  • Like 2