Not a DAB unit.  Bergvill are also rarely the cheapest source, there are a number of European vendors who sell at lower prices, not sure if they include UK duty and shipping costs though.

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Not a DAB unit.  Bergvill are also rarely the cheapest source, there are a number of European vendors who sell at lower prices, not sure if they include UK duty and shipping costs though.

The DAB unit is 220 Euros delivered, about £193.

Is it worth fitting a DAB unit? Do you need an amplifier or different aerial?

29 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

The DAB unit is 220 Euros delivered, about £193.

Is it worth fitting a DAB unit? Do you need an amplifier or different aerial?

You'll need a DAB aerial (I have one fixed to inside of my windscreen) but if you only want specific FM channels then DAB not required.

The full link is here:

Continental CD7416UB-OR 12 Volt RDS Tuner MP3 CD USB Bluetooth Radio Car Stereo | eBay

and DAB+ version:

Continental cdd7418ub-or CD/mp3 Car Radio Bluetooth DAB + Radio incl. Antenna | eBay

I bought my continental from continental as bergville website was not working and then bought an adapter from a local provider which suffered with interference and which I could not get rid of.

Finally, I bought an adapter from Bergville and frankly, did not find him that helpful considering I spent USD$77 for a simple wiring loom and some heat shrink. As I did not buy the head unit from him, he wanted €100 per hour, 30 minutes invoiced in advance when I had a couple of questions. He told me he was to busy with 20-100 installation questions per week, so a good business.

Take as you find obviously.

6 minutes ago, deanmr2 said:

Do you not want to receive and make phone calls as I don’t think the unit you are looking at supports the phone functions

https://www.continental-automotive.com/getattachment/1b976741-c19d-499f-b281-c48992c8720b/CD7416UB-OR-Owners-Manual.pdf.pdf

According to the continental website it does. 🤙🏻

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

You are right enough sorry my mistake. I bought and fitted a Continental a few months ago and must say I am very pleased with mine👍

12 minutes ago, deanmr2 said:

You are right enough sorry my mistake. I bought and fitted a Continental a few months ago and must say I am very pleased with mine👍

I have an Alpine that was fitted. Has an orange display but silver.

Needs to go. Looking forward to fitting the continental. 🤙🏻😊

25 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

I have an Alpine that was fitted. Has an orange display but silver.

Needs to go. Looking forward to fitting the continental. 🤙🏻😊

Yeah best head units for looking most like a stock Porsche unit and comes with all the modern functions it’s a win win choice 

On 9/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, Fat Rat said:

Seems cheap as others want up to ,€262? Bergvill.

Thoughts please. 😉

Hi

I bought one from them a couple of weeks back it turned up within a week no extra import costs etc. Fitted it on Friday, works great, great fit looks good I used the loom connector from Bergvill couldn't be simpler to do. I found Tore at Bergvill very helpful, also got the PORSCHE sticker that goes over the Continental, looks great. The phone connected straight away and works very well much better than I had hoped.

4 hours ago, Tynesider said:

Hi

I bought one from them a couple of weeks back it turned up within a week no extra import costs etc. Fitted it on Friday, works great, great fit looks good I used the loom connector from Bergvill couldn't be simpler to do. I found Tore at Bergvill very helpful, also got the PORSCHE sticker that goes over the Continental, looks great. The phone connected straight away and works very well much better than I had hoped.

Cheers @Tynesider I have ordered. It is in the Uk @customs awaiting clearance.  Hopefully no import tax. 😬🤙

18 hours ago, Tynesider said:

Hi

Where did you get the Porsche sticker from?

5 hours ago, the baron said:

Where did you get the Porsche sticker from?

I got the sticker from Bergvill ordered same time as getting the wiring connector from them. Have attached a couple of pics. @Fat Rat when fitting the microphone I just drilled out one of the empty switch blanks to just less than diameter of microphone and slotted it in (see pic) I used the top right one which was a blank, it works pretty good.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/porsche-sticker

unnamed-8.jpg

unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tynesider said:

I got the sticker from Bergvill ordered same time as getting the wiring connector from them. Have attached a couple of pics. @Fat Rat when fitting the microphone I just drilled out one of the empty switch blanks to just less than diameter of microphone and slotted it in (see pic) I used the top right one which was a blank, it works pretty good.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/porsche-sticker

unnamed-8.jpg

unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-6.jpg

@TynesiderThanks for pics. Great idea for the Mic. I will probably do the same as wondering where to mount it nice & simply.

I saw the the stickers when pricing up the head unit. I will order, but waiting to receive the new head unit then have a look how the Alpine unit was fitted.

Hopefully with adapter plugs. If not buy some. The aerial is not great on the Alpine, so we will see how that has been connected as well.

Status of delivery is cleared customs. So hopefully that will be with me soon without any charges. Please. 😎

Ok, cool. A couple of options then. 🤙. Head unit arrived ok this morning. 8 days to get with no extra import charges. Happy days. Off to Portugal for a week, get some last minute sun. Will update once i get a chance to fit. Cheers everyone for info. 🤙

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get the Alpine unit out. It didn’t want to come out.😬.

New mic fitted as suggested in blank switch. Removed old iPod cable from glove box to head unit. Looks like I just need a standard converter cable.

couple of odd bits. Yellow connector block and a fibre optic. Think it is the old mic? Any ideas peeps?

StereoStereoStereoStereoStereo

Well, got round to fitting the head unit today. All good.

Bit of a squeeze getting it in, but went in the end.

Just gotta pop out at a later date and connect the night time illumination.

Trying to get done with roof down and impending rain clouds that didn’t really come to anything.

In all, very pleased with outcome. Mic works a treat in the position recommend by @Tynesider 🤙🏻

Stereo

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

I’m looking at an upgrade (986 with non-fibre optic Bose). How easy was the wiring installation using their harness adaptor? Were there any extras to do?

Worth looking into. My car previously had a amp and CD player which had been changed for an alpine unit. I used the bergville converter but had to add a switched ignition supply and night time light supply as not on original socket. Worth spending a bit of time 🤙🏻

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone interested. I was getting some engine noise on the ipod through the aux input cable. Changed it for a better quality lead. No change. I had to fit a suppresor coil. All good now. 7 quid from ebay. All working as it should. Only the battery in the ipod died. 🤣. Having a new battery put in. Hopefully that will finally get me past the finish post. 🤙