MOT & PADM Fault

GTSMarky

I think you might be at the mercy of the tester and his/her flexibility. “Engine MIL inoperative or indicating a malfunction” is a major item and will result in a failure. The tester might need convincing that the PADM system is not part of the engine itself.

27 minutes ago, daz05 said:

It shouldn't but would suggest you find a friendly tester.

Yes, I could do Daz but it's all in hand with the service and PADM replacement so I was just looking to bridge the gap as the MOT can happen after the PADM is sorted.  Car will be sat idle for a week or two once back from the recall work so it's not an issue really.

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

I think I can see that it is possible to code these things out by the way. I'm not sure how it would work in practice but the option is if they were replaced with standard mounts.

Coding them out would be a good option but my mind wanders to the question of what would happen to the longevity of the transmission/mounts if Sports Plus was used a lot without the extra dynamic mounting function one would give? I guess it's not a problem if you never use Sports Plus though, although if you bought a 2nd hand car you wouldn't necessarily know it had been coded out.

3 hours ago, CMA said:

Coding them out would be a good option but my mind wanders to the question of what would happen to the longevity of the transmission/mounts if Sports Plus was used a lot without the extra dynamic mounting function one would give? I guess it's not a problem if you never use Sports Plus though, although if you bought a 2nd hand car you wouldn't necessarily know it had been coded out.

Nothing at all, the mounts are dynamic to support performance not longevity.

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

So are the mounts only active in Sports plus or are they active all of the time?

Apparently they adjust based on various parameters when sports chrono mode is activated. 

Gearbox mounts only but they operate in the same way.

https://www.total911.com/technology-explained-porsche-active-drivetrain-mounts/

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, daz05 said:

Apparently they adjust based on various parameters when sports chrono mode is activated. 

Gearbox mounts only but they operate in the same way.

https://www.total911.com/technology-explained-porsche-active-drivetrain-mounts/

I was told on my Porsche Experience day by my instructor they ware active all the time just adjusting to different levels based on many parameters, same as PASM and Traction Control does. 

Could be the case and that would make sense when you are on a relaxed cruise in normal they should be in full soft mode to provide maximum ride comfort. Soft is the default maybe they are live to an extent and sports chrono mode allows a wider operating window allowing them to go to maximum stiffness, oooh err.

Cruising they’re soft to minimise the transmission of noise and vibration to the chassis; when driving enthusiastically they’re stiff to prevent driveline windup and delayed engine and gearbox movement that can affect the car’s feel and balance?

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

I wonder if anyone can actually tell what they’re doing.

I’ve not experienced non-active mounts so can’t speak from experience but I bet I’d have to concentrate really hard to notice the difference.

I've had 2 981s, one without and one with and you can tell the difference at the extremes. Same as I imagine PASM and Non PASM feels, but I've never had PASM on a boxster so I'm just guessing.

They are also painful on the wallet when they do fail as I found out.

• Thanks 1

Nobody has really explained the mounts properly from Porsche but I was under the impression that these mounts are only adaptive with Sport Plus mode, even then all they actually do is stiffen up & the rest of the time they're softer for road use (unlike pasm which is still adaptive in comfort mode) however the required  electrical current seems to be the problem & they short out. 

I don't see how most people actually need this feature. I'd certainly see somebody coding these out of the car and fitting standard or upgraded non adaptive mounds as a cure rather than driving waiting for a nice hefty bill. 

Edited by Cocky

1 minute ago, Cocky said:

Nobody has really explained the mounts properly from Porsche but I was under the impression that these mounts are only adaptive with Sport Plus mode, even then all they actually do is stiffen up & the rest of the time they're softer for road use (unlike pasm which is still adaptive in comfort mode) however the required  electrical current seems to be the problem & they short out. 

I don't see how most people actually need this feature. I'd certainly see somebody coding these out of the car and fitting standard or upgraded non adaptive mounds as a cure rather than driving waiting for a nice hefty bill. 

On 10/1/2022 at 9:52 AM, Driyage said:

Mine went through MOT without an issue with the PADM fault still showing. 

Finally booked it into get it done and 8year service at Autostrasse !

Interesting.  Been advised the exhaust manifold flanges need some TLC and pot 3 needs a coil pack. 

On 10/1/2022 at 9:52 AM, Driyage said:

Mine went through MOT without an issue with the PADM fault still showing. 

Was that without any advisory too? If so then one does go again I might leave it as it has no impact and I don't use Sports+ often

8 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Interesting.  Been advised the exhaust manifold flanges need some TLC and pot 3 needs a coil pack. 

Was it the exhaust flange nuts dissolving !!  OPC picked it up on mine when had MOT, wanted a huge amount of £££ to change 4 fixings , have got the bits to do, but not the time yet

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alank said:

Was it the exhaust flange nuts dissolving !!  OPC picked it up on mine when had MOT, wanted a huge amount of £££ to change 4 fixings , have got the bits to do, but not the time yet

I will investigate shortly as I plan to change or face the discs so need to put on axle stands all round and remove the wheels.

It was a job I had in my to do list anyhow, so at least I know it's worthwhile now for sure..