(Video) Rattle/ tapping even after 5 minutes of light driving.

Jimbo1998

Noise seems to dwindle after the car gets properly warm, and she has sat for just under 2 weeks.  

Video: 

My first thought was that it was the timing chain tensioners or the tappets just waiting to receive some oil pressure. However, anecdotally this only should last a few seconds after start up. 

Any suggestions? We switched out the water pump/checked pulleys and did a full service about 2000 miles ago and has been absolutely fine. 

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Yes Sir, that is a sticking hydraulic lifter on either the intake camshaft or the exhaust camshaft on bank 1

Question, how long have you worked on 986s to have such an impressive knowledge. Your analysis blows me away every time you are tagged in anything!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jimbo1998 said:

Question, how long have you worked on 986s to have such an impressive knowledge. Your analysis blows me away every time you are tagged in anything!

Haha, no, not at all Jimbo. There are far, far more knowledgeable folk on here than me.

I may not even be correct with my diagnosis in this instance but sticking lifters is exceptionally common on Porsches that have not been used for some time. I am working on one at the moment that has not been used for 2-3 weeks and that has it. I recently had a 987 G2 and after being parked up for a month, that also had it.

Take yours for a good drive and report back. 

• Like 1

Sounds like lifters to me, very similar to the sound I had on mine (accept I had multiple sticking). If you rev it just above tick over does the sound go away? It's quite costly to have lifters replaced, if you can put up with the noise just monitor it, if it gets louder, more metallic sounding, get it looked at?

It’s the lifters, the fact that the noise went away after driving for a period, it’s probably ok to continue to drive as others have said keep an on the noise if it gets worse or doesn’t go away after driving for a while get it checked out