Window Regulator / Pulley Wheel - help please!

joeluth

Hi all, is this worth trying to DIY or do I need to replace the whole regulator?

2001 2.7 986

Had a situation where my passenger window wouldn't go back up and close, I heard a bit of a nasty crunchy sound, then it fully opened and got stuck there.

I've had a look inside the passenger door and found that the inner pulley (closest to the door hinges) wheel had come off.

I can pop it back on but it's quite loose, I expect it will just fall off again.

I think it's missing a cap of sorts to hold it in place, or maybe it's supposed to snap onto the stalk but has worn down and won't stay put.

There weren't any bits left in the door, the wheel itself doesn't look bad to me.

mZUoPwM.jpeg

Here's the rhs pulley in the mirror, this is the one that had fallen off, I put it back on but it's just resting there really, is there a cap missing?

I0BX2UQ.jpeg

Here's what the other outer pulley looks like in the mirror, it has a larger cap on it  holding it in place.

2x2OhMo.jpeg

Any thoughts appreciated!

Cheers all

Joel

Edited by joeluth

I took the option of fitting a second had genuine unit from a breaker when the cable broke on my passenger side door regulator. All the bits are there and it is set up for a Boxster, don't get a 911 one as the stops are in a different place. Still running fine after 3 years and less than a third the price of a new Porsche item.

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I took the option of fitting a second had genuine unit from a breaker when the cable broke on my passenger side door regulator. All the bits are there and it is set up for a Boxster, don't get a 911 one as the stops are in a different place. Still running fine after 3 years and less than a third the price of a new Porsche item.

Hi ½cwt, thanks for your response. 

I think you're right there, I was hoping to fix it but that loose pulley wheel is a bit of problem.
I saw repair kits but they don't include that part.

Design 911 sell the aftermarket part, without the motor,  it looks like very similar to the eBay ones.

Thinking that maybe the real issues lies elsewhere, perhaps the tension or some other issue broke the pulley,

I best do the same as you and get a complete used genuine part. 

Cheers!

Joel

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I’ve replaced the regulator on both my Boxster and 911 they are the same part but you have the option of swapping the bump stop to adapt to either car. New fro euro car parts or similar is around £140. It’s a lot of work  to have to replace again if your second hand one fails and you may not be as lucky as ½cwt

Edited by the baron

2 minutes ago, the baron said:

I’ve replaced the regulator on both my Boxster and 911 they are the same part but you have the option of swapping the bump stop to adapt to either car. New fro euro car parts or similar is around £140. It’s a lot of work  to have to replace again if your second hand one fails and you may not be as lucky as ½cwt

Fair point, and you risk damage to the door membrane another time, but I'm a sad individual who enjoys taking cars apart and putting them back together.