Broken suspension spring & Heater problem

joeluth

Hi BoXa's

I took the 986 out and it promptly noticed a cracking knocking sound on any rough bit of road!    had a look in the drivers side wheel arch where it seemed to be coming from and sure enough.. completely broken spring! 

I believe it's good practice if not essential to change them both sides, or can I just replace the broken one without issues?  wondering if it might affect alignment.

Any recommendations for sourcing replacements,   it's for my 2001 986 2.7  

Second problem is my heater, it's either cold  (low) but set to  17° upwards It seems to just go full blast hot.    I have the electric control unit with the LCD. 

Many thanks for any suggestions!

cheers

1 hour ago, joeluth said:

Hi BoXa's

I took the 986 out and it promptly noticed a cracking knocking sound on any rough bit of road!    had a look in the drivers side wheel arch where it seemed to be coming from and sure enough.. completely broken spring! 

I believe it's good practice if not essential to change them both sides, or can I just replace the broken one without issues?  wondering if it might affect alignment.

Any recommendations for sourcing replacements,   it's for my 2001 986 2.7  

Second problem is my heater, it's either cold  (low) but set to  17° upwards It seems to just go full blast hot.    I have the electric control unit with the LCD. 

Many thanks for any suggestions!

cheers

Definitely replace BOTH springs. It is false economy to just replace one - your ride height might be different on each side. It is a common fault and I'm sure others will be along in a minute or two to give you more advice. It happened to me and I had already got it booked in to Revolution for several jobs so added it to the list! (It failed its MOT so I had to have it recovered to Revolution as the MOT had run out. I didn't have any obvious handling problems so was surprised to find I had a broken spring and Revolution charged a very reasonable price for recovery.)

Edited by Rev Ken

Both springs for sure.  The older spring will have sagged a bit so you will have an imbalance in the front end.  A pair of OE springs is about £200 plus fitting.  Now, if you are taking the top mount off the change the spring, this is the cheapest time to change these, Sachs ones are OE and cost about £65 a pair and will make a notable difference to the front end, even getting rid of some creaks and squeaks you may have.  Like wise the bump stops will probably be perished, aftermarket ones are about £10 a piece IIRC and agin part of stripping off the old spring.  The bearings to allow the turn for steering should be OK to clean up, re-grease and go again.

Heater problem could be the cabin temp sensor behind the small round vent at the passenger end of the dash board.

• Like 1

I took the opportunity to do springs, shocks everything on the front. 
Heritage Porsche where cheapest for springs and shocks and I used Spyder Performance for top mounts and bump stops. 
easier to do everything as it’s all 20 years old and seized. 

• Like 1