987.2 S - Replacement Exhaust - Sounds, Look, Etc...

chris80chris

Hi all,

I have trawled through lots of pages on here and elsewhere looking at exhausts and just can't find what I need...

I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 987.2 S, in a perfect world I'd like to go OEM and replace it with the PSE, however the cost and the potential time delay have really put me off.

I have looked at the DesignTek option, I can't decide if it is too loud or not, but more than that the thing that puts me off is that the tailpipes are too far apart compared to the OEM look, is this solvable??

I have also looked at a Hayward & Scott replacement (not a bypass to the original), I think at the moment this may be my preferred option, but I cannot find any good sound files to see if this is for me or not. Most sound files I can find are for the bypass solution which I don't want. I'm going to have a little drive down to see them tomorrow to discuss a bit more.

I want something that is more akin to the PSE when switched on in terms of sound, something that doesn't drone on the motorway and that the tailpipes look OEM (or that can take an OEM tailpipe).

Do any of you have any suggestions or information that could help me, or am I being too picky???!!

Cheers

I fitted a Topgear non switchable to my Cayman S-I love it-very loud at 5000 plus rpm, exactly what I wanted,i don’t find it too loud at all when driving sedately, but opinions are subjective of course.

took half an hour or so to fit after the old system was removed.very happy with it.

10 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

I fitted a Topgear non switchable to my Cayman S-I love it-very loud at 5000 plus rpm, exactly what I wanted,i don’t find it too loud at all when driving sedately, but opinions are subjective of course.

took half an hour or so to fit after the old system was removed.very happy with it.

That's interesting. I think I was something of a pioneer in having one fitted to my 987., non S. As you say, it was awesome at high revs but it was a disaster around 45-50 mph- drone was like someone sitting behind me banging a big bass drum. It was so intolerable I had to take the car to Topgear themselves (local to me) for it to be modified, which took them 6 hours!  Some of the high rev sound was lost but, mercifully, so was the drone. I would advise anyone looking at fitting a non-switched TG (or Designtek which I believe are same) to a 2.7 to avoid at all costs! But, given your experience, maybe it's OK on a 3.2/3.4.

I've gone for this and love it. There's no drone and it's not that loud when driving normally, and when you open it up it sounds incredible!

https://www.haywardandscott.com/porsche/986-987-boxster/porsche-boxster-987-bypass-mod.html

Here's a video they've uploaded of what it sounds like :  

I have spyder switchable on my 987.1 3.4 - it does drone/boom between 2k and 3k which is not pleasant - sounds great above 4k.

I had carnewal on my prev 3.4 - preferred the sound of this to the spyder - no drone, slightly less bass, slightly quieter but more expensive sounding. Carnewal GT with a GT4 end tips i think would be perfect.

I have the 2.9 motor and fitted the Carnewal GT with S tips. The sound for me is just right. Not too loud and no drone. If you're doing the job yourself you'll probably have to deal with rusted fasteners. That's the hardest part of the job.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:03 PM, chris80chris said:

That would perfect yes, thank you!

I’m just up the 127 in Billericay. Let me know when you could do and we can go from there 👍

Sorry been very busy with a new role at work. 

I'm going out for a blast with another Porsche group tomorrow if you're free.  A few of us are meeting at the Shell petrol station in Rayleigh (07:15), then off to Braintree to meet the rest and the route starts from there, towards Thaxstad and Finchingfield. Looks like it'll be a fun little drive.

4 hours ago, Medic-one said:

Sorry been very busy with a new role at work. 

I'm going out for a blast with another Porsche group tomorrow if you're free.  A few of us are meeting at the Shell petrol station in Rayleigh (07:15), then off to Braintree to meet the rest and the route starts from there, towards Thaxstad and Finchingfield. Looks like it'll be a fun little drive.

No probs at all, been busy myself!! I’d love to come along, but sadly early morning football duties call with my son! 🤦‍♂️ If you’re heading out in future though I’ll be up for a meet up. 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 11:38 AM, chris80chris said:

Hi all,

I have trawled through lots of pages on here and elsewhere looking at exhausts and just can't find what I need...

I am looking to replace the exhaust on my 987.2 S, in a perfect world I'd like to go OEM and replace it with the PSE, however the cost and the potential time delay have really put me off.

I have looked at the DesignTek option, I can't decide if it is too loud or not, but more than that the thing that puts me off is that the tailpipes are too far apart compared to the OEM look, is this solvable??

I have also looked at a Hayward & Scott replacement (not a bypass to the original), I think at the moment this may be my preferred option, but I cannot find any good sound files to see if this is for me or not. Most sound files I can find are for the bypass solution which I don't want. I'm going to have a little drive down to see them tomorrow to discuss a bit more.

I want something that is more akin to the PSE when switched on in terms of sound, something that doesn't drone on the motorway and that the tailpipes look OEM (or that can take an OEM tailpipe).

Do any of you have any suggestions or information that could help me, or am I being too picky???!!

Cheers

Hi all, little update…

I decided to go with the Hayward & Scott bypass in the end, mainly because they’re close to me and the chaps there were really helpful without pushing me in any particular direction. It’s booked in a week on Tuesday, so will update once it’s done. 

I call Carnewal 'turning up the flat 6 rasp' without making the exhaust sound aftermarket (deeper tones), zero drone and most importantly you retain the OEM parts (you'd never know).

Loads of videos on YouTube - best one is cliffs garage, he does a back-to-back standard vs. Carnewal on a 987.2 Cayman

3 hours ago, Laney456 said:

I call Carnewal 'turning up the flat 6 rasp' without making the exhaust sound aftermarket (deeper tones), zero drone and most importantly you retain the OEM parts (you'd never know).

Loads of videos on YouTube - best one is cliffs garage, he does a back-to-back standard vs. Carnewal on a 987.2 Cayman

But does Cliff not have an X pipe addon?

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just got back from Hayward & Scott via a very roundabout way (testing)!

For anyone considering the standard exhaust bypass option, I would go this route, the change from the standard system is brilliant! It’s not overbearing at all and there is no drone, just the right level of noise and even some nice burble and gargle on the downshifts. Thank you @Medic-one for giving me the push in this direction. 

When I can, I will try to take a video of it and upload it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, chris80chris said:

I’ve just got back from Hayward & Scott via a very roundabout way (testing)!

For anyone considering the standard exhaust bypass option, I would go this route, the change from the standard system is brilliant! It’s not overbearing at all and there is no drone, just the right level of noise and even some nice burble and gargle on the downshifts. Thank you @Medic-one for giving me the push in this direction. 

When I can, I will try to take a video of it and upload it.

How much and what condition was your exhaust found to be in ? Thanks