Drone box - which is best / least worst?

Tycho

Looks like I need a new exhaust to get through the MOT.  Looking to minimize expenditure as this is my runaround & I have already had to replace the cats.  Owning a 993 I am used to a reasonably loud exhaust but want to keep the neighbours on side.

There seem to be many similar boxes on eBay at varying costs.  Any recommendations on which one to go for?

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Tycho said:

Unfortunately, I need an exhaust asap. The Gravity Performance one looks favourite at the moment.

Whereabouts are you based? I’ve got a 2.5 exhaust in the shed that I replaced with a Toyosport. It’s got a broken baffle inside, so is slightly louder than standard, but quieter than one with a bypass.

I am outside Leeds.  Thanks for the offer but I have just about convinced myself to get a new box & try to get the seams on old one welded at my leisure.  How do you get on with the Toyosport?  They are the best price, but I was not sure about the clamp on tips.

I’ve just purchased the TopGear one. Afaik it’s the same as the Design Tek version available via Design 911 which Dean Horvath at La Rose recommended to me when  I had the Spyder bypass fitted. It’s going on next week.  I had their system on my 996 and the sound was fruity with a hint of meat and  mango undertones.😉
Cost £420 and it’s S/S 

Hope that helps 

1 hour ago, Cybot7 said:

I’ve just purchased the TopGear one. Afaik it’s the same as the Design Tek version available via Design 911 which Dean Horvath at La Rose recommended to me when  I had the Spyder bypass fitted. It’s going on next week.  I had their system on my 996 and the sound was fruity with a hint of meat and  mango undertones.😉
Cost £420 and it’s S/S 

Hope that helps 

Sounds interesting. Are you keeping the bypass valves as well? 🤔

The Gravity/Toyo/Direnza are basically all the same. You get a bit less resonance with the manifolds too. Back in 2012 I paid about £110 new for both exhaust and manifolds. 

Thanks for the replies. I have had a look at the Top Gear exhaust.  It looks like the Gravity Performance one with the addition of the heat shields.

I am down to choosing between the Toyosports & Gravity boxes & deciding do I pay an extra £70 for the welded tips?

My car had the boom box but it was too much for me so I removed it and put the original back on. The boom box is sat in my shed. Now my original exhaust has started making more noise than it did when I first fitted it. So does that mean something has gone inside it?

Yes, I realise it will be louder than the standard exhaust.  I cannot justify spending 1k on an OEM box – the car was a bit of an impulse hobby purchase. If possible, I will get the old one welded up.

Our small town has a rather older demographic and even being in our early 60s we are seen as youngsters on our road.  My 993 has a rather distinctive sound so I try to leave & return cautiously.  Mind you,  an ex neighbour (older than me) used to give his Cayman some beans (from cold!) and a friend opposite asks me if I have had a good drive when I have been out for an early morning summer run in the 993.

3 minutes ago, Tycho said:

Yes, I realise it will be louder than the standard exhaust.  I cannot justify spending 1k on an OEM box – the car was a bit of an impulse hobby purchase. If possible, I will get the old one welded up.

It won't be a bit louder. It will be a LOT louder. Mine was ridiculous. It made me giggle at first like a kid. But it was crazy, mental, stupid and daft all at the same time. Just know that it will be louder than you can possibly imagine. Then you won't be surprised. 

I have an original 986 3.2 S rear silencer I need to get rid of. It's on eBay at the moment but I'd rather someone on here have it. Pretty good condition. Not sure if it would fit (yours is a 2.5 2.7?)? PM me if of interest. Located in Hampshire. 

Edited by steve99

There is a drone box on eBay for 120 near you in Wakefield.

He has changed back to stock as getting funny looks from his neighbour’s in the morning as a daily driver. 😂🤙🏻
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304709931941?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WH8swraVSFK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

18 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

There is a drone box on eBay for 120 near you in Wakefield.

He has changed back to stock as getting funny looks from his neighbour’s in the morning as a daily driver. 😂🤙🏻
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304709931941?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WH8swraVSFK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

At least he says it's loud confirming what I said. Now I don't feel like a boring old fuddy duddy.

• Haha 2

its loud on cold start, certainly. but after a few seconds it does quieten down. a bit. theres still no denying you've got an antisocial exhaust on! 😄

indeed i'll go so far as to say it sounds pretty terrible below 3000rpm. however, above that, it sounds great, so guess where my revs are whenever i drive it...

my car was a lot louder when there i had a bad exhaust gasket. that was hilariously loud...