Headlight UV protectant recommendations ?

Bradders59

On 2/10/2023 at 10:48 PM, ½cwt said:

I used Armorall wipes - Cr*p unfortunately.

Some have reported using Gtechniq C4 successfully.  High cost, but if it works....

I tried the armorall wipes also and one headlight has been fine and the other awful! 

I've been looking for restoration kits to sand by hand rather than drill but not found much that's been strongly recommended. 

Will give the c4 a look for finishing afterwards though

You can do it by hand with fine grit wet and dry, start at 800 or 1000 dry, clearing the dust frequently to avoid clogging the grit, then 800 wet on to 1200 wet. Then go with very fine polishing paste on a pad on a drill.

Bradders59, for my 2002 Boxster, I used the Cerakote ceramic headlight restoration kit purchased in the U.S. on Amazon.  I had previously buffed my lights with rubbing compound before using this kit and my results were really good with this kit, but others don't buff their lights in advance and also seem to have great results with this kit.  I removed my lights for this restoration process, but it would also work with the headlights installed or popped loose but still on the car to give some extra space around the edges of the lights, but you will want to tape the area around the lights if you leave them on the car.  There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to use the Cerakote kit.  The Cerakote kit comes with wipes to put a long-lasting protective coating on the headlights as the last step in the process (i.e. this coating appears to be what you are looking for), and this coating worked beautifully to make the lights crystal clear and to protect them.  I don't believe you can purchase the Cerakote protective coating without purchasing the entire kit, but the kit was less than $20 U.S. and I am very happy with the end result.

• Thanks 1