Cayman Autos

Bolts

Hi

ive been having troubles with the hood on my 981 recently where it sometimes opens/closes fine sometimes sticks part way but not at any set point.

im looking to take it to Cayman Autos for diagnosis and repair but wanted to see if anyone has used them in the past?

Thanks

Steve

14 minutes ago, Bolts said:

Hi

ive been having troubles with the hood on my 981 recently where it sometimes opens/closes fine sometimes sticks part way but not at any set point.

im looking to take it to Cayman Autos for diagnosis and repair but wanted to see if anyone has used them in the past?

Thanks

Steve

https://caymanautos.co.uk

I went there with my Alfa Spider... would not recommend them at all!

The quote they gave me included insanely high mark up on parts. Roof flap motors at the time were £80 each and they quoted over £300 each and £200 labour to fit, they are held in with 3 screws and are a 5 minute job to change.... and did not even need replacing.

They quoted over £140 each for hydraulic struts which are £20 each and again massively high labour when you can change all 4 in under half an hour.

I declined their quote of work they said needed doing (in excess of £1,500). I did some research and worked out it was 2 struts that needed changing to fix the problem and did it myself for £40 in under half an hour.

A lot of the work they advised was totally not needed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

I went there with my Alfa Spider... would not recommend them at all!

The quote they gave me included insanely high mark up on parts. Roof flap motors at the time were £80 each and they quoted over £300 each and £200 labour to fit, they are held in with 3 screws and are a 5 minute job to change.... and did not even need replacing.

They quoted over £140 each for hydraulic struts which are £20 each and again massively high labour when you can change all 4 in under half an hour.

I declined their quote of work they said needed doing (in excess of £1,500). I did some research and worked out it was 2 struts that needed changing to fix the problem and did it myself for £40 in under half an hour.

A lot of the work they advised was totally not needed.

Thanks for the info. Anyone else had similar experience?

36 minutes ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Search my posts to see my experience with a 981 roof problem. I think it could be a bit more problematic as these cars get older. 

Interesting read. Did the replacement micro switches fix the problem permanently? That sort of repair is way beyond me so might talk to my local indie (nine excellence) to see if they can do or have done the repair in the past

19 hours ago, Bolts said:

Interesting read. Did the replacement micro switches fix the problem permanently? That sort of repair is way beyond me so might talk to my local indie (nine excellence) to see if they can do or have done the repair in the past

Yep it sure did. As the thread mentioned they tried the micro switch above the window first but that didn’t solve the issue. 

19 hours ago, Bolts said:

Do you know what the cost of this repair was?

Yes it was a heavy bill considering the actual price for the two micro switches that cost IIRC just over a hundred quid. Total bill will depend massively on your chosen repair shops hourly rate. I paid just north of £800

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this. 

Just got my car back from Nine Excellence. They lubricated all the parts and say they reprogrammed the roof and all now good. It’s been up and down perfectly while with them 20-40 times. 

Fingers crossed it lasts

• Like 1