What exhaust for a 987.2 s

NutsyH

I currently have a Carnewal, which I suspect is going to need replacement soon. What are the recommendations from the wise ones on here please. I would like something a bit "fruitier" without the associated drone on motorways. And not a Porsche OEM.

15 hours ago, NutsyH said:

I currently have a Carnewal, which I suspect is going to need replacement soon. What are the recommendations from the wise ones on here please. I would like something a bit "fruitier" without the associated drone on motorways. And not a Porsche OEM.

I've just had a Design Tek fit to my 987 S BE. It has three position switchable valve by remote key fob, road, track and 'LOUD'. The noise on 'Loud' is very addictive and sounds bloody fantastic when you 'givitsum' 😜 but sensible in road mode. Stainless Steel, highly recommended 😉 Design911 do them.

17 minutes ago, John T said:

I've just had a Design Tek fit to my 987 S BE. It has three position switchable valve by remote key fob, road, track and 'LOUD'. The noise on 'Loud' is very addictive and sounds bloody fantastic when you 'givitsum' 😜 but sensible in road mode. Stainless Steel, highly recommended 😉 Design911 do them.

That's good to know as I am planning to get a Designtek exhaust fitted in a few weeks time. Sounds like it will be money well spent..

18 hours ago, NutsyH said:

Been speaking with Gert about driving down to have the Carnewal done in the summer.
Were you happy with yours? I take it when you talk about associated drone, you don't mean from the Carnewal?

28 minutes ago, eob said:

Been speaking with Gert about driving down to have the Carnewal done in the summer.
Were you happy with yours? I take it when you talk about associated drone, you don't mean from the Carnewal?

No, very happy with the Carnewal, no drone but maybe could do with a bit more music. Thanks for the replies - looks like Designtek then.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

If you tell Gert it’s breaking you might get a decent discount on a replacement (or an offer of cheap repair). He does the work himself AIUI. 

My Indi said that Gert was designing his own system as stock of usable OEM back boxes was becoming scarce.

My system is in decent condition, wonder if he would do me a deal?🤔

On 4/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, Menoporsche said:

If you tell Gert it’s breaking you might get a decent discount on a replacement (or an offer of cheap repair). He does the work himself AIUI. 

Thanks Meno - that's worth knowing.

Does the Carnewal make a big difference?    Mine is stock exhaust - and I've come from having a Mustang with H pipes that was VERY loud.   I don't want to go back to that (as I'd avoid starting too early in the morning!) but I would like to make a change that would actually make a decent impact to the noise but not sure that YouTube videos do it much justice or if the Carnewal is the way to go.

3 hours ago, jlil3wdl said:

Does the Carnewal make a big difference?    Mine is stock exhaust - and I've come from having a Mustang with H pipes that was VERY loud.   I don't want to go back to that (as I'd avoid starting too early in the morning!) but I would like to make a change that would actually make a decent impact to the noise but not sure that YouTube videos do it much justice or if the Carnewal is the way to go.

I found the Carnewal on my 987.2S to be quite subtle but pleasant sounding, certainly not in your face - the Dansk, that I fitted to my 986S was no different to the stock unit despite being a "sports" exhaust but it did look like an OEM. I wouldnt have a problem using Carnewal again.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the workshop with the Designtek fitted. First impressions very pleased - had a quick blast across the Downs and the "quiet" setting certainly has a deeper note than stock and no sense of boominess. when cruising so far. "Noisy" sounds fantastic as the revs rise and pretty good on the way back down again ! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Currently a bit unsure about my new Designtek 🙁 It seems to have a very loud "boominess"/resonance at around 2500 rpm which coincidently is around 70/75 mph on the motorway and a bit less when cruising on an A road (even on the quiet setting). Bit slower or accelerating through it and it goes (or indeed travelling faster as I did on the Autobahn last week) but neither of those are always possible (or wise). 

Has anyone else found this to be the case ? Somewhat concerned that I have ruined the driving enjoyment of the car....

Has anyone ever switched back to a standard exhaust for the same or similar reason ? Seems a waste of money but not very happy with it at the moment.

my advice is... forget about driving at 2500rpm. keep the revs over 3000rpm, no drone! and yes, this does mean that 6th gear doesnt really become useable until about 80mph.

im thinking about getting a non valved designtek for my 987 - i've swapped from a 986, and actually, the thing i miss the most is my old ebay dronemaster exhaust, because it sounded so nice when you were on it, which i usually was as a trackday/summer weekend car.

31 minutes ago, JTBoxster said:

Has anyone else found this to be the case ? Somewhat concerned that I have ruined the driving enjoyment of the car....

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

What's the mileage on it now? People here say it settles down a bit after 1-2000 miles.

Agreed. I had a bit of regret when I got the Carnewal conversion thinking the same. "Its too loud. I've ruined the car" But as soon as I got it on the motor way I realised that it was completly drone free and no different to stock and after driving home and adding 1000 miles on it it iscompletely different. Much more pleasing.
Lucky I had opted to take a trip out myself, because with it being a high days and holidays car it would have taken me months to put that kind of mileage on and would actually have made me reluctant to drive.

Persevere before making any decisions.

Edited by eob

12 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

What's the mileage on it now? People here say it settles down a bit after 1-2000 miles.

It didn't have many miles on it prior to us going on holiday with the car over the last coupe of weeks down to Southern Germany/Austria so its probably got 1500 + miles on it now and maybe just maybe is a little quieter.

Am wondering if the very tall 7th gear of the PDK is accentuating the problem..

I had a similar exhaust on my 987.1S and found the sound deepens over time although if anything mine got louder. I don’t remember any drone as such but I know the wife wasn’t keen on it and glad when I changed to a 987.2 with the pse.

I've PSE on my 987.2 S but wanted a bit more. I fitted Topgear sports manifolds and they worked a treat. Whisper quiet with PSE off and nice and fruity with PSE on. Also with a remap now at 344HP (with BMC airfilter but no ther mods). Can still sound quite quite fruity if you give it some beans with PSE off. Video is with PSE on.

23 hours ago, Gramps said:

I've PSE on my 987.2 S but wanted a bit more. I fitted Topgear sports manifolds and they worked a treat. Whisper quiet with PSE off and nice and fruity with PSE on. Also with a remap now at 344HP (with BMC airfilter but no ther mods). Can still sound quite quite fruity if you give it some beans with PSE off. Video is with PSE on.

That’s a better solution for mine, something that will improve the power too.. 

• Like 1