Air conditioning

RedBarediver

So, last year I replaced the condensors, sorted out a pinhole in one of the pipes running under the driver's sill and had lovely aircon all summer. Lately though I can hear the air conditioning pump is on the way out,. Doesn't sound at all healthy - to the extent that now I don't use it at all. Pretty sure I can get away with a replacement from Steve Strange but was just curious if anyone thinks it would be worth the effort and expense having my original one reconditioned? I think the bearings will need replacement from the sound of it. Is it worth doing just to have a spare in the garage?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 3:35 PM, Sanky said:

Are you sure its not the bearing that has gone dry in the pulley, as I am sure you can purchase these separately.

Don't know really. All I know is it sounds dodgy. Once I have it off the car I'll be able to tell. I reckon I'll get a second hand one from Douglas Valley (as well as a starter motor as mine is making a screeching sound every so often) and whip it out when I'm off. I can then replace the aircon pump and the starter motor and see if either can be saved. Starter motor probably just needs a good clean and lube to be honest.

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Don't know really. All I know is it sounds dodgy. Once I have it off the car I'll be able to tell. I reckon I'll get a second hand one from Douglas Valley (as well as a starter motor as mine is making a screeching sound every so often) and whip it out when I'm off. I can then replace the aircon pump and the starter motor and see if either can be saved. Starter motor probably just needs a good clean and lube to be honest.

You have the starter solution.  Clean and lube the Bendix gear and save money!

On 4/24/2023 at 5:40 PM, ½cwt said:

You have the starter solution.  Clean and lube the Bendix gear and save money!

I plan to take some time off over the summer. I was unable to go on the much-needed cavediving holiday in March and my company was kind enough to roll the days into the new holiday year so I'll take a week or so off during the summer and get stuck in.