Best CarPlay solution with reversing camera

Johny99

Thank you for your replies

I took the plunge on a mr12volt and a park vision reverse camera.

Looking at connections on the camera, according to the park vision instructions I need to tap into the reverse light for power and earth, however I have a suspicion this may not be correct as the mr12volt is connected to the canbus?

I can’t seem to find any guidance on this so would be great if anyone can confirm the below is correct.

The camera has the usual rca/ live and earth on a shorter lead.

Then a long lead with only a live and rca plug that needs to run to and connect into mr12volt which I understand based on mr12volt instructions.

The only question is on the live and earth from the camera, I assume I need a local earth at the back of the car and then link the long leads live to the cameras live. This then connects into the rear camera live input on the mr12volt.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks 

It does but, as the reversing camera is purely analogue 1V video, you can take the live and ground from a reversing lamp as indicated.

If it was me I'd be using a canbus filter to remove the data interference from the camera power supply wires and prevent flickering jaggy lines on the picture.

A cheap resistive/capacitive filter will do the job 90% well, but for best quality (and costlier) you can buy an inductive/capacitive filter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply and great shout on the filter.

Having a quick Google I assume this will do the trick as a capacitive filter?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385113476890?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB122327146&amdata=enc%3A1r1OJ9IhNS12fZaiP90zD-w77&_trkparms=ispr%3D1

Thanks again

26 minutes ago, Johny99 said:

Thanks for the reply and great shout on the filter.

Having a quick Google I assume this will do the trick as a capacitive filter?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385113476890?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB122327146&amdata=enc%3A1r1OJ9IhNS12fZaiP90zD-w77&_trkparms=ispr%3D1

Thanks again

That's actually an L/C filter - inductor and capacitor, plus what looks like it might be a diode.

There's also a fuse, which is a good idea.

Probably better than a generic R/C version.

You've no idea how long I looked for a cheap version of an L/C filter like that when I was trying to clean up the picture on my motorhome camera. 🙄😂

EDIT: How much was the Mr12V package delivered, I might look at one if only for the camera input, ta?

Edited by cozzykim
  • Thanks 1

I might buy a couple if they’re that good!

It was £409 incl shipping, was shipped from the UK and was delivered 2 days later.

I read somewhere that they may have a new model being released towards the end of this year with a built in mic, assuming they meant with the unit able to use the oem mic, but I’m not fussed and need a solution now.

I too only wanted the reversing camera, as Ive just become so used to having one on other cars, it just made sense to do a CarPlay upgrade rather than a camera interface only.

If I did use maps, I would be looking down to look at the screen when driving which would be annoying other than that no other use, Bluetooth streaming currently works fine for me on the rare occasion I do use it, the NA sound is better than any soundtrack available!

This will plug into the existing number plate light power lead and allow you to use it for 12v power (+ive_ and ground (-ive)  as opposed to cutting / tapping into any cables

PA Products 2 PIN MALE CONNECTOR KIT WIRED PLUG SOCKET 1J0973802 FOR AUDI VW SKODA SEAT https://amzn.eu/d/9ODL04T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, moonshine said:

This will plug into the existing number plate light power lead and allow you to use it for 12v power (+ive_ and ground (-ive)  as opposed to cutting / tapping into any cables

PA Products 2 PIN MALE CONNECTOR KIT WIRED PLUG SOCKET 1J0973802 FOR AUDI VW SKODA SEAT https://amzn.eu/d/9ODL04T

Thanks, this is also a great help.

If I take the number plate light plug and plug it into this, do I then need a splitter to then plug something back into the number plate light, or is there a spare plug floating around there to plug this into?

You can use these WAGO 221 connectors to clip into the cables

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325131912571?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=aDGjb-PxR_C&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ga7_9v8FQDy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

you can use these one of these to join multiple +ive cables to one feed  (and i-ve too)

• Thanks 1

This is a male and female connector - use this and a WAGO connector and you should be good - https://amzn.eu/d/cwqNnT9

to use the WAGO connectors, just lift the orange lever, put the cable in and snap the lever shut - (they go up to 5 way) use one connector for +ive, one for =-ive)

Thinking about it, you might not be able to use the number plate light as a power supply, as it is only hot when the vehicle lights are on. You might need to find an alternative “always hot” 12v power source

Edited by moonshine
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Moonshine

Just seen one of these, I’m going to make a cocktail but one that allows the original plug to go back into the number plate light should I need to remove.

Original number plate connector into male plug from link

Male plug end into butt crimp/wago

Female plug end into butt crimp/wago

Camera feed into butt crimp/wago

Female plug end from link into number plate light

Hopefully it all works and then I’ll heat shrink the connections or maybe even protect in ip rated box of sorts, obviously securing to avoid me complaining of rattles!

Thanks again

6 minutes ago, Johny99 said:

Thanks Moonshine

Just seen one of these, I’m going to make a cocktail but one that allows the original plug to go back into the number plate light should I need to remove.

Original number plate connector into male plug from link

Male plug end into butt crimp/wago

Female plug end into butt crimp/wago

Camera feed into butt crimp/wago

Female plug end from link into number plate light

Hopefully it all works and then I’ll heat shrink the connections or maybe even protect in ip rated box of sorts, obviously securing to avoid me complaining of rattles!

Thanks again

As i said, i’m not sure the using teh number plate light for power will work, as I think it might only be hot when the lights are on. Worth checking that

• Thanks 1

Ah, glad you said it again, I missed it the first time.

I think you’re correct, in that case I think it’s going to be a t tap job then.

I’m surprised I’ve not seen any videos on where people are taking their power from despite watching numerous videos.

• Like 1

I hope it’s the same for mine, I’ve just looked up a wiring diagram but can only find the 991.2 diagram for rear lights, apparently it’s the blue/black for live and brown for earth, but will pull out my tester and confirm.

I may be over thinking this all, but I want to get the job done in 1 day so I’m trying to plan as much as possible.

Will keep you updated for anyone in the future who wants to do this.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

On 5/6/2023 at 7:25 PM, Johny99 said:

I hope it’s the same for mine, I’ve just looked up a wiring diagram but can only find the 991.2 diagram for rear lights, apparently it’s the blue/black for live and brown for earth, but will pull out my tester and confirm.

I may be over thinking this all, but I want to get the job done in 1 day so I’m trying to plan as much as possible.

Will keep you updated for anyone in the future who wants to do this.

Thanks again!

This is the 981 wiring diagram for the back bumper

my preference would be to pick up a +ive 12v feed from the reversing light - but one has to remove the rear bumper to get at the fixings to remove the reversing light.

@daz05, where did you pick up a +12v feed at the back of your car for your reverse camera install? 

• Thanks 1

When I did it I fitted a front camera, but remember I had the Joyeauto system which supplies power for the cameras. It's all decommissioned now since I fitted PCM4.

I don't really understand why anyone bothers with them to be honest, quite expensive and labour intensive when parking sensors more than do the job and in poor weather they are a waste of time.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

This is the 981 wiring diagram for the back bumper

my preference would be to pick up a +ive 12v feed from the reversing light - but one has to remove the rear bumper to get at the fixings to remove the reversing light.

@daz05, where did you pick up a +12v feed at the back of your car for your reverse camera install? 

52877712687_48353ac19b_b.jpg

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

I used this camera https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175213322268?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=g_UaOp-ZS5a&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ga7_9v8FQDy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I removed left number plate light and unplugged the power connector

I then removed the rear boot liner and was able to remove the grommet that the wiring loom passed through the rear boot skin, and fish a wire through tomorrow the now open light hole.

I used this connector https://amzn.eu/d/bETLINa existing rear light connector, with the tails connected with WAGO 221 blocks

plugged into the new camera /light  to supply power to number plate light led by plugging into the