PCM Head Unit and system version

JML Cumbria

Hi wonder if anyone can advise

To see what upgrades can be made to my quite basic 2014 Boxster’s PCM it seems I need to know which head unit I have - 3.0 or 3.1 and what system version EG V3.4

The standard advice seems to be that you press the Source and Info buttons at the same time - there are YouTube videos showing this  

My problem is that I don’t have a “Source” button: in its place is a “TP” button that toggles traffic information via rather radio on and off. Pressing this together with the Info button just brings up the TP toggle  

if I press the info button I I get just the option to view System Information  - but pressing this doesn’t give me PCM or the Vx.xx that the you tube videos show but System Version 12112954 - I have no idea what that means or how it relates to the PCM or the Vx.xx information that I need

Can anyone advise:

if I have a non-standard head unit - I can’t find a Google image of one like mine - they all have source buttons where I have a TP button and Tuner and Media buttons where I have FM and AM buttons  

How I can find what PCM unit I have and how I find the version number in Vx.xx form

What “Version 12112954” means in relation to the information all the other sources seem to talk about

i have of course done a lot of googling on this, though obviously may have missed something - but I’d be grateful if someone could point me in right directions - I want to install Apple CarPlay and a reversing camera - I know that’s possible for some units/versions, but can’t find the information in the right format

Grateful for any help

John

So I think OP has a CDR-31 , whose button layout looks like this...(ignore the CarPlay display ;))

Pressing the info button should show a System Information option with the firmware version.

CDR-31 manual 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjHypuY6Jz_AhUTnVwKHar5BxsQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Frennlist.com%2Fforums%2Fattachments%2F991%2F1297158d1544597482-full-pdf-of-the-owners-manual-porsche-driver-s-manual-cdr-31.pdf&usg=AOvVaw01eT4Ylu0zPlnYAnenBJxz

cdr31_530x@2x.jpg?v=1672415522

• Like 1

That’s the one Iborguk! And yes, pressing the info button gives version number 12112954

So it’s a CDR1, not a PCM3 - no wonder I couldn’t find a picture searching for PCM!

And you have CarPlay fitted too… which is what I want - can you please tell me how got it? Make and how fitted if poss please 

And if anyone else has experience of fitting Apple CarPlay and/or a reversing camera, to a CDR1 I’d be really grateful for experience

Many thanks

John

3 minutes ago, JML Cumbria said:

That’s the one Iborguk! And yes, pressing the info button gives version number 12112954

So it’s a CDR1, not a PCM3 - no wonder I couldn’t find a picture searching for PCM!

And you have CarPlay fitted too… which is what I want - can you please tell me how got it? Make and how fitted if poss please 

And if anyone else has experience of fitting Apple CarPlay and/or a reversing camera, to a CDR1 I’d be really grateful for experience

Many thanks

John

So you've got a CDR-31.

That's a stock picture , not my car.

One option, no experience of the kit but the guy is quick to respond and helpful.

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/product-page/cdr-310-carplay-android-auto-kit

Many thanks iborguk and Daz05

Thanks for the links - I’ve mailed nm automotive to see if their kit will fit my car - it may be complicated by my car having the BOSE sound system upgrade…

Daz05 - that is SO scary… respect! I think I’d need to find a local fitter willing to undertake this - no easy task in the wilds of Cumbria!

• Like 1

Hi there JML be minded that adding the joyeauto kit to the CDR31 does not require you to open the unit and add an additional circuit board.  The kit comes with a separate small steel box which can be piggy backed using ribbon cables without adding a new board inside the unit.

Ive just done it on my 981 and its fairly simple however my beloved wife decided to help and mistakenly cut a ribbon cable associated with the touch screen so i need to find a replacement that.  Bit of a pain to be honest because id actually fitted the Joyeauto when we realised what she'd done so took it out and its all back in the box waiting for me to source the replacement original cable for the CDR31 unit.   If i cant get a cable then I will be selling the Joyeauto unit on here so keep an eye on my posts.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Stevalical said:

Ive just done it on my 981 and its fairly simple however my beloved wife decided to help and mistakenly cut a ribbon cable associated with the touch screen so i need to find a replacement that.  Bit of a pain to be honest because id actually fitted the Joyeauto when we realised what she'd done so took it out and its all back in the box waiting for me to source the replacement original cable for the CDR31 unit.   If i cant get a cable then I will be selling the Joyeauto unit on here so keep an eye on my posts.

Time to walk around in a dejected 'beaten dog' manner, and call in any 'favours' perhaps? 😁