Changing condensers

EeZee

Had a good search through youtube / google / this forum for a good video on changing the condensers.

I'm not that handy, but keep reading it's a doddle. Any good videos out there or anyone here within a 50 mile radius of Woking, Surrey fancy some cash for helping? :)

I haven't done a 981, but I did my 987.2 so I don't know whether they're similar.

Hardest parts of the 987 were getting the wheel liners out, and getting the bumper spring clips out as they were both rusty. I broke one using a screwdriver to lever it out.

I have done this twice and it’s not difficult if you are patient and don’t break any clips! remember to change the drier as that helps stop the pipes getting moisture in them apparently. 

If you are looking for a simple fix Torque Boxster is not far from you and saw a price from him (might not apply 981) of £550 all in. Pattern parts have gone up (£95 in 2020 to £150 in 2023) and £70 for kwikfit regas plus refill if you have any leaks. Seems a reasonable deal to me if you don’t fancy taking it all apart. You will need a couple of jacks/ramps and some torque and standard spanner’s and screw drivers. 

• Like 1

Well the plot thickens.

regassed and didn’t hold. 

took it back for a further pressure test which held, so was once again regassed

The gas is lasting no more than 48 hours.

I can’t see any leak under a UV light on condensers so it must be a pipe or condenser 

Going to need a professional to look it over! 

Always change the dryer canister when you change major parts on the system as they will die due to exposure.  They are only about £15

Pin holes are often found on the spun ali pipe that runs from front to rear.  Not expensive (approx £150) , but not that nice a job either.  Usually only way to tell is look for small bubbles in the paint on the tube.

• Like 1