A sad day

letsmile

Well, after getting my cherished boxster back on the road last Summer, I just accepted an offer that I just couldn’t refuse, so just sold. I had the car for about 23 years, and although not having driven it for many years, it does seem a little strange it no longer being there! Very strange how we become so attached to our cars, but think it was amplified by all the love and care I put into it last year. Also very strange to think of someone else being behind the wheel from now on.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a big thankyou to all those that made very valuable contributions while I was often head scratching through the upgrade/restoration process. The whole process would have been a lot more of a challenge without the advice and input, so eternally grateful to all the contributors.

Now onwards and upwards, but now also hankering after another automotive project, as very much enjoyed the challenge and experience. Alot of learning, but hugely satisfying, especially on a great fun car like the boxster!

Thanks again and wish you all well, with years of future enjoyment ahead 👍

• Like 6

It’s good to have restored it so someone else is now likely to look after it. I had the same with an old spitfire that I’d restored 30 years ago, but then moved and left under a car port for 7 years. Could have just flogged it as a non runner, but felt good to get it running again before selling it so it avoided being broken for parts. Hopefully it’s still out there being enjoyed by someone.

• Thanks 1

Yes I think the new owner will be cherishing it and looking after it for years to come - very satisfying to know. It was a 2.5 1998 early model and I finally got 21,000€, so really couldn’t turn it down, especially considering the relatively low kilometres I’ve covered over the last year.

• Like 1

That seems good price.  European prices do seem to be rather stronger than the UK.  That makes it an easier argument to do the required work, but must be a wrench having had it from nearly new.

Yes prices here seem to be quite a bit higher versus UK, which is mainly down to supply as alot more on the market in the UK. Just pleased I purchased LHD all those years ago, as selling RHD is obviously not as attractive. I remember when I originally made the purchase, I was also looking at a LHD 993 which was a little older and a little more, but at the time preferred the look of the boxster, which back then was the new kid on the block. MY my how the values have differed over the years. I’m still pleased I got the boxster as all that open top fun has certainly been worth it versus what was a 993 hard top. And yes, it was a wrench to let it go, but trying to detach and remember all the great memories now! In future, who knows, after my experience, I may pick up a ‘project’ car to have a go at as I did really enjoy working on it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, letsmile said:

Yes prices here seem to be quite a bit higher versus UK, which is mainly down to supply as alot more on the market in the UK. Just pleased I purchased LHD all those years ago, as selling RHD is obviously not as attractive. I remember when I originally made the purchase, I was also looking at a LHD 993 which was a little older and a little more, but at the time preferred the look of the boxster, which back then was the new kid on the block. MY my how the values have differed over the years. I’m still pleased I got the boxster as all that open top fun has certainly been worth it versus what was a 993 hard top. And yes, it was a wrench to let it go, but trying to detach and remember all the great memories now! In future, who knows, after my experience, I may pick up a ‘project’ car to have a go at as I did really enjoy working on it.

Not to mention the 993 running costs...

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 11:05 AM, Nobbie said:

It’s good to have restored it so someone else is now likely to look after it. I had the same with an old spitfire that I’d restored 30 years ago, but then moved and left under a car port for 7 years. Could have just flogged it as a non runner, but felt good to get it running again before selling it so it avoided being broken for parts. Hopefully it’s still out there being enjoyed by someone.

I used to pass it regularly and think to myself there’s a kindred spirit!

• Like 1