987.1 Boxster Whirring Pulse Noise 2k RPM ?

Geoff888

2007 987.1 2.7 Manual.

Strange whirring pulse type noise behind my left side when driving, RHD. Occurs under load between 1800 & 2100 rpm. Then disappears.

Can't hear it if the car is stationary at the same engine speed. Car stops & goes like a dream.

No mention of wheel bearings at the MOT 2 weeks ago.

Drive shaft ? Gearbox ?

Answers on a postcard please...............

36 minutes ago, Geoff888 said:

2007 987.1 2.7 Manual.

Strange whirring pulse type noise behind my left side when driving, RHD. Occurs under load between 1800 & 2100 rpm. Then disappears.

Can't hear it if the car is stationary at the same engine speed. Car stops & goes like a dream.

Drive shaft ? Gearbox ?

Suggest capture the noise and post a link to the audio here.

Edited by iborguk

19 hours ago, Geoff888 said:

2007 987.1 2.7 Manual.

Drive shaft ? Gearbox ?

I've had the same ??? type of low noise for a couple of years. I tried to get Northway to help me identify it but, sod's law, the noise didn't want to play or be heard by those who would have known what it was. Sneaky little sod. They suggested it might be from a "breather". Interestingly the noise disappeared for a few months after a service. Trying to record the noise may be very difficult because it is so low and quiet but once you hear it, it's obvious. I can try but I doubt I'll be successful.