Talk to me about cat replacement options please!!

Filbee

I've done a search and ready plenty of threads but not quite found the answers I was looking for...

I'm chasing O2 sensor codes (P1276 came up again today, despite replacing the O2 sensors only a couple of months ago).

I think my next move is to look at replacing the cats. But which option so I go for???

I'm not looking to up the performance especially. I just want it to run as well as possible, pass MOTs with no issues, and to not have keep getting O2 sensor error codes every time I take it out.

So I go for 200 or 400 cell cats? Do I go for the ones that seem to have a smoother pipe run into the cat than the rather abrupt OEM cats? Do I go for stainless?

Does it matter if they aren't "type approved" (is that a thing in the UK?)

Let me know your thoughts and your own experiences please!

The only info I can offer is a page I bookmarked 'just in case' a while ago when someone noted them as a useful source, as well as ridiculously cheap such that you could replacement several times before getting tot eh rice of others!!!:

BOXSTER - Cats2u

BTW I'm assuming it is a 986, but you've got no Boxster model info in your My Ride in your profile.

I fitted BM Catalysts to ours after trying everything else to fix the same fault code as you.  Fitted them and fault code cleared.  From memory I was £300 for the pair and sold the originals for £170 to a scrappie. I went for type approval as I did want any hassle later on, but your car would need one thorough inspection for anyone to notice.

https://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/catalogue/?search=1&search-location=1&keyword=&search-make=PORSCHE&search-model=BOXSTER&search-engine=3.2&search-fuel=Petrol&search-type=Homologated+Petrol+Cat

• 2 weeks later...