987.2 Induction noise - BMC Filters, K&N, Induction kits ?

Crudeoink

Hi all!

I'd like a bit more induction noise on my 987.2S and have recently taken the battle out of the side grille, which added marginally more noise. I've since ordered a BMC filter to add a bit more noise, has anyone else been down this route to get more noise? Did it work out ? Anything I can do to add more noise if this doesn't cut it? 

I dont really want any more exhaust noise as the car already has a Carnewal backbox and tests at 98dBa

I took ALL the engine covers off a few months ago to clean the engine and took her for a spin with them off and you'd be amazed at how much these covers protect from sound and especially heat. Induction noise was incredible with just a desnork and dry performance filter but you'd be hard pressed to drive more than a day or two with them removed..... the engine heat is amazing.

Intrigued by the induction kit and would consider one if i was contemplating selling her.

Si.

1 hour ago, mr.tourette23 said:

What about one of those clear engine covers? Gets rid of the insulation, keeps out the heat but lets more noise into the cabin.. also looks pretty cool if you keep the engine clean 

Not in a Boxster sadly as the folded roof covers the engine...look great in a Cayman thou.

I managed to get a great sound out of my 987.2s by removing the side baffle and fitting the BMC replacement filter. My car also had the factory PSE and I also had the car remapped which improved the cars sound and made the power delivery smoother and responsive 👍

On 9/2/2023 at 11:27 AM, Lonewolfgjp said:

I managed to get a great sound out of my 987.2s by removing the side baffle and fitting the BMC replacement filter. My car also had the factory PSE and I also had the car remapped which improved the cars sound and made the power delivery smoother and responsive 👍

This is good to hear. The BMC and a few other bits should be arriving today. I'll try and get around to fitting it and reporting back on some increased induction noise! However the arrival of an 8 week old puppy is currently putting the brakes on most activities at the moment 😅

Edited by Crudeoink

• 8 months later...

How did you get on with the BMC and the baffles removed?

I tried the BMC on my 987.2 S Cayman and no other changes, and honestly I didn't think it made any difference at all to the noise, which is the only reason why I bought it. So, I took it straight back out.

I'd really like to improve the induction noise as I'm not a fan of loud exhausts and for me it's the induction howl that marks out a flat six. With a loud exhaust, these cars just sound generic.,

49 minutes ago, Pothole said:

How did you get on with the BMC and the baffles removed?

I tried the BMC on my 987.2 S Cayman and no other changes, and honestly I didn't think it made any difference at all to the noise, which is the only reason why I bought it. So, I took it straight back out.

I'd really like to improve the induction noise as I'm not a fan of loud exhausts and for me it's the induction howl that marks out a flat six. With a loud exhaust, these cars just sound generic.,

Barely made a difference to be honest. You can just about tell it's a tiny bit louder but it's really not noticeable. If you do find a way to increase the induction noise I'd be interested as much as exhaust noise is cool, induction noise is cooler! 

15 hours ago, Crudeoink said:

Barely made a difference to be honest. You can just about tell it's a tiny bit louder but it's really not noticeable. If you do find a way to increase the induction noise I'd be interested as much as exhaust noise is cool, induction noise is cooler! 

Have you considered blocking off the helmholz chamber in the airbox? Popular trick on 911s. Prob because it's dead easy to get at on 911s of a certain vintage - 996s or 7s - can't recall which.

Edited by Ninesomething

Seen some posts suggesting moving the connector clamp on the exhaust to create a gap and more exhaust noise - no idea if it actually works.

Have also done the desnork and find it more noticeable when the roof is up