Recaro Classic LS/LX

markjh

I'm looking to improve on the standard comfort seats in my 986.

Decent 987 sports seats (the popular upgrade) are rare and expensive, have looked at the Recaro Sportster CS and feel like I want something a bit more retro.

Has anyone fitted, or attempted to fit, Recaro Classic seats in a Boxster?

Pics from 70's 80's 911s to try an and show what I'm aiming for.

Thanks

Mark

0EC81BC6_81F9_4A61_9175_C4606D587A1A_1_105_c1589286235.jpg

photo5_zpsf4f9d0da.jpg

4B9AD458_AEC6_4F38_A95B_B392654544601589364284.jpg

20 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@map did you have something like this?

Not those seats but similar fabric 👇

9eYO1Jh.jpg
….and for a good while I owned a 1982 911SC alongside my 986.

AFAIK the seats in the OP’s post are pretty hard to come by - at least as originals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, map said:

AFAIK the seats in the OP’s post are pretty hard to come by - at least as originals.

I’ve been looking around and they do come up, most of them need a refurb, which is fine. I’m not sure about how high they seat base will be, if the head rest will fit under the roll bar and what leg room will be ultimately. I’m currently comparing dimensions, but I was just looking to see if anyone has been down this route before.

I was going to go with the wingback style of the Recaro’s Sportster CS, but the more I look at them, the less I like them!

cheers

Mark

I'm currently thinking about different seats for mine. I'm not necessarily trying to do this for the same reasons as you but I don't want to spend a fortune. 

I have some 987 seats and I had these in the car. These were a vast improvement over the 986 seats. I would recommend the standard 987 comfort seats. They are cheaper and they are more comfy.

I then tried some Recaro fixed buckets like Map's above. These were an improvement again. But I still felt a bit cramped. I just don't really fit in a 986. So yes I can put up with it and I can manage but I'm beginning to think why should I.

I recently moved my car, drove it basically but only a few feet back and forward on the drive, with no seat in the car. It felt massive. Loads of room. And this got me thinking. Less is more. So now I'm pondering smaller retro type seats like those from the 356.

ScreenShot2020-04-14at12.48.26PM_1734x.p

On 8/31/2023 at 10:44 PM, markjh said:

I'm looking to improve on the standard comfort seats in my 986.

Decent 987 sports seats (the popular upgrade) are rare and expensive, have looked at the Recaro Sportster CS and feel like I want something a bit more retro.

Has anyone fitted, or attempted to fit, Recaro Classic seats in a Boxster?

Pics from 70's 80's 911s to try an and show what I'm aiming for.

Thanks

Mark

0EC81BC6_81F9_4A61_9175_C4606D587A1A_1_105_c1589286235.jpg

photo5_zpsf4f9d0da.jpg

4B9AD458_AEC6_4F38_A95B_B392654544601589364284.jpg

I'm assuming you have the standard seats as opposed to the wing back sports seats that were fitted as a fairly common option. Wouldn't it be easier to fit a set of those?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

I'm assuming you have the standard seats as opposed to the wing back sports seats that were fitted as a fairly common option. Wouldn't it be easier to fit a set of those?

Yes I have standard seats, I did think about the wing back seats, and I’m sure you are right about that being an easier option. But that isn’t the aesthetic that I’m looking for. 

I appreciate your thoughts though!

Mark