Low rev misfire

Everywhen

This evening while out for a spin, my 2.7 986 started to get a small misfire below 2000 rpm, once above that it runs as smooth as usual. Not lacking in power.

Starting its OK but idle a little lumpy as if one cylinders is randomly not firing.

I’l put the OBD scanner on it tomorrow but I get the feeling nothing will be recorded.

I immediately thought coil packs and plugs as I’ve not changed these and I have no record of when they were last changed.

I also thought maybe MAF or O2 sensor?

Anyone got any suggestions where I should look?

A misfire might show up on OBD even without a CEL on the dash.  If it is one side could be O2 sensor, a single coil pack or variocam solenoid, if random then MAF would be a candidate.

• 2 weeks later...

O2sensor was in so tight I was in danger of breaking it so took it to my local Indy who swapped them both. Even with it glowing like a cherry they put up a fight.

O2 code no longer showed but misfire was still there on idle and PWIS now showed a misfire on No4, so I got them to change the coil packs and plugs, it was next on my list of jobs anyway. Misfire cured and engine really smooth now.

Plugs were a lovely “biscuit brown” which was nice to see.