What's It Worth?

andy_l

I've never understood the obsession with mileage above all else and paying inflated prices accordingly. We don't buy these cars as an investment opportunity, we buy them to drive. Speak to anyone experienced in the motor trade and they will tell you that condition matters far more than mileage. 

I bought my 2012 Boxster S in 2017, it has a brilliant, desirable spec with almost everything I was looking for. It had FSH with almost 70,000 miles, and this was reflected in the price I eventually negotiated for it following an independent inspection. What I've spent on routine maintenance at a Porsche independent in the 6 years since is nowhere near the premium I would have had to pay for a low mileage example, particularly from an OPC.

So, based on my experience, my advice would be to buy on condition and spec alone and just enjoy it. Don't worry too much about the mileage because you know what, it won't be long before all 981s have high mileages anyway.

Different strokes .... I don't agree I'd rather pay more for a lower mileage example of a car I want which is also in good condition personally, then I don't have the disappointment of worn surfaces and components, they just generally feel tighter in my experience. More miles = more time spent out on our wet badly paved roads, more corrosion and seized bolts that make any sort of tinkering and repairs a pain I could do without.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, daz05 said:

Different strokes .... I don't agree I'd rather pay more for a lower mileage example of a car I want which is also in good condition personally, then I don't have the disappointment of worn surfaces and components, they just generally feel tighter in my experience. More miles = more time spent out on our wet badly paved roads, more corrosion and seized bolts that make any sort of tinkering and repairs a pain I could do without.

Yeah, but if it turns out to be a knackered old shed, there's always Daz to sort it out 🙂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a 981 @andy_l and think you’ve pitched it at a good price.  

lots of dross out there that is described as being good but condition or provenance always a disappointment. 

I think the full leather is actually quite rare and a lovely option to have.  I’m sure some will disagree, but was a ‘’must-have” requirement for me.  

Only downside is that it’s a bad time of year to sell a convertible.   So will pay to be patient !

12 hours ago, scaramanga said:

Also… wish mine had your wheels.  I have the diamond cut multi spoke wheels which I don’t really like!

Wish I had seen this earlier....just bought a set of Turbo 3 alloys to replace my Carrera S ones - we could have done a swop!

My Carrera S wheels are for sale if you are interested?