What's It Worth?

andy_l

Hi Folks,

It feels like it might be time to move on. I'd be interested in your thoughts as to what my Boxster might be worth.

Thanks

Andy

2016 981S in rhodium silver with black roof: 26k miles. Full Porsche Dealer Service History. Additional spec as follows:

PDK

PSAM

PSE

Sports Chrono

20" Carrera S wheels

Sports design steering wheel with paddles

Bose

Satnav

Dual zone climate

Cruise control 

Extended leather interior 

Sports plus seats

Body coloured wheels and roll hoops

Wireless Carplay / Android Auto

PDLS headlights, GTS rear lights

Pictures here:

Edited by andy_l

26 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

That's lovely & as said above a nice spec' too,

No idea on value, but top end of whatever they are with the spec' & mileage which is the same as my BGTS.

PM me the details and I'll forward to a friend who just may be interested.

It's @andy_l's car.

Question is, how much did you pay for it and how much do you expect to get for it?

Nice car though 😊

2 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Question is, how much did you pay for it and how much do you expect to get for it?

Nice car though 😊

What @andy_l paid for it is totally irrelevant.

My guesstimate assuming no faults, no need for an immediate service and excellent condition, based on what has been available this year is that for a private sale it should be upwards of at least £35k for a private sale.

Obviously there are the naysayers (those looking to buy) that say the market has tanked, along with webuyanycar checkers that will tell you it's worth about 12p and a packet of peanuts.  There are also some sellers who think that covid + chip shortage means their cars are still worth more than a dealership.

You mentioned OPC history, if it still has OPC warranty then that is a good selling point.  Better coverage than Arthur Daley Motors.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

11 minutes ago, moospeed said:

You realise r1flyguy is looking for a new car ;) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, moospeed said:

My guesstimate assuming no faults, no need for an immediate service and excellent condition, based on what has been available this year is that for a private sale it should be upwards of at least £35k for a private sale.

Obviously there are the naysayers (those looking to buy) that say the market has tanked, along with webuyanycar checkers that will tell you it's worth about 12p and a packet of peanuts.  There are also some sellers who think that covid + chip shortage means their cars are still worth more than a dealership.

You mentioned OPC history, if it still has OPC warranty then that is a good selling point.  Better coverage than Arthur Daley Motors.

Spoken like a true 981 owner trying to protect his ‘investment’ 

Upwards of £35k is where dealers are advertising judging by current Autotrader adverts!

I will pay what I think a car is worth & what is acceptable to a seller and I certainly won’t pay overs, that money id rather put in my sons bank account, but that too is irrelevant!

seems like every 981 actually any car owner in the current climate  likes to post the same comments that have been bouncing around for months It’s nothing new and thus irrelevant. The price is what it is and what they want.

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Confused 2

Not much competition on Autotrader at the moment so could be a good time to advertise

The only 981 S under 40,000 miles is this one at a dealer for £39k https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309152006114?sort=relevance&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=981 S&include-delivery-option=on&make=Porsche&maximum-mileage=40000&model=Boxster&postcode=rg22 4rt&price-to=50000&year-from=2016&year-to=2016&fromsra

Obviously more miles than yours so anything slightly under that might be a good place to start

Edited by Mattman42

IIMHO  the price of 981s has dropped  since I purchased mine 18 months ago which, all things being equal,you would expect, they are all 18 months older after all. Having sold a couple of Boxsters, in my opinion, the views here at BoXa  on value have a  tendancy to be polarised for some reason. There are plenty of  on-line options to get a price and you can ask  dealers to give you a price and see how that compares to the retail price on the forecourt. It's not rocket science, it's not mysterious. Motorway allows dealers to bid for your car, could be good. Good luck, that is a great 981.

Edited by Topbox

55 minutes ago, andy_l said:

Thanks everyone, useful food for thought there.

I've replied to all the enquiries: thanks to everyone who has expressed an interest :)

That's a nice very late build example with a desirable and rare spec keep that in mind. If someone really wants a 981 this is the type of car they will be waiting for.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, r1flyguy said:

Upwards of £35k is where dealers are advertising judging by current Autotrader adverts!

I will pay what I think a car is worth & what is acceptable to a seller and I certainly won’t pay overs, that money id rather put in my sons bank account, but that too is irrelevant!

seems like every 981 actually any car owner in the current climate  likes to post the same comments that have been bouncing around for months It’s nothing new and thus irrelevant. The price is what it is and what they want.

Hmmm... not really protecting investment, I'm not selling so I don't care (at the moment).

In August I sold mine and bought another so I was on both sides of the equation.  Maybe I paid over, maybe I sold over, who knows?  All I know is that I was happy enough with the deal, so was the buyer of mine and the seller of the one I bought.  Obviously I'd liked to have paid less and liked to have got more but that's human nature, I just got on with it and moved into something else I'd use and enjoy.

I mentioned the original buying price being irrelevant because it is.  The Elise I bought for £12.5k I sold for £24.5k.  The E30 M3 I bought for £9.5k I p/x'd for £7k but to buy it today would be ten times that.  The value is what someone is prepared to pay right now today and doesn't bear any relation to what it cost in the past.

Thats a great spec S, just what I'll be after a few years from now, shouldn't have any trouble shifting that, hard to price but I'm looking at the market a lot and I'd expect that at the pointy end 36-38k privately maybe? 

Autotrader valuation tool would help.. Take their price and add a bit on for the high spec

On 9/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, r1flyguy said:

You need to aim for a do'er upper, or higher mileage example, this one isn't for you, in time you'll realise the cost of keeping them in good fettle hence the asking prices for good examples.

43 minutes ago, daz05 said:

You need to aim for a do'er upper, or higher mileage example, this one isn't for you, in time you'll realise the cost of keeping them in good fettle hence the asking prices for good examples.

I have no inclination or sufficient spare time to buy a high mileage do’er upper.

At no point have I stated I can’t afford ‘another’ car or don’t have the funds to maintain one! I’ve made my stance quite clear in fact, should the right one at the right price ‘for me’ appear for sale then I hope to become its new custodian, I’m in no hurry whatsoever.
@andy_l was extremely kind enough to reply directly to me and I eagerly await ‘his’ actual for sale post with what he deems the price he would like to achieve for his car if he’s not already sold this rather lovely example.

20 hours ago, daz05 said:

@r1flyguy sorry I got that impression based on your response above.

No apology needed, the written word can often be misunderstood.

Catch22 I’d more like it, you’re not wrong a doer’ upper would be interesting but because I’m away for long periods I would like a modern car that needs no immediate work and is reliable and I can return, jump in it and it’s good to go! Saying that even modern cars can be ‘Friday builds’ my last Macan had no end of issues and warranty claims, luckily the new one has been awesome.

1 hour ago, highway said:

Andy appears to have left the building….

Or realised he’s made an error in wanting to sell it so he’s out enjoying it 😁