New Clutch - feels weird and seems to slip/burn at slow speeds

Dubdubz

Pedal and feel can be a bit subjective, so I will try and explain it as clear as I can.

Background, did a ton of work on my 2007 2.7 and due to the RMS weeping, I pulled Gearbox - which then meant that I needed to replace the clutch and DMF as they were worn and it was time.
So new LuK clutch and DMF ordered, and the throw out bearing doodad followed the various guides. All went back together as expected.
I did not replace the slave cylinder or the arm - Clutch slave was bled once.

So the pedal doesn't feel right.
Kind of vague, maybe mushy but the spring makes it feel heavy at points -  the biting point is mid pedal travel I would say, not high or low.
Our drive is on a slope upwards, not much but I have found slow manoeuvres reversing up onto my drive and I get clutch rubber burn smell and often I stall it from apparent lack of low speed control?
Also I have found when holding the car on biting point on a slight incline say at  a roundabout or junction that the revs will hunt which is super weird? so biting point, car not rolling back - and at that time it then seems to hold the car position but the revs will pulse from idle to 1500? ish.
If I put handbrake on clutch in and it all stops so not a idle issue. Also if I take out of gear and clutch out - same - all the rev issues stops.
Its about every second or so - up and down....

At speed it appears to drive fine - no feeling of clutch slipping, no issues with gears up or down.

I was going to i this order
rebleed the slave -  replace the slave - buying a new clutch ?

Its really pee'ing me off and I really want to be fond of the boxster again -  at the minute I just want to punch it in the face...
{The other big issue is the gearshift movement in 3rd particularly, front mount changed - so not sure where that movement is coming from now?}

Thanks for reading thus far .... 

42 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

I agree with Mick, had my original clutch replaced at 150000 miles including flywheel and bolts and wow it's light now and quiet.

Well the original clutch felt fine and I only replaced it as I was in there and it was worn...I reckon I could have left it, but as I tend to be on the do it right side of the fence. I replaced it and the DMF - which also I think was fine but a little worn (when I compared to the new one, it was certainly free'er)

I think I will change the slave cylinder - they seem to be ok money £30-40 and would then be a thing off the list

Its a pedal to clutch operation - if it was cable I'd be looking at adjusting, another way to desribe it is the very fine slight clutch for low speeds - such as reversing. So the creeping or the plunger not holding the arm steady is likely to be quite credible if I think about it. The clutch plate is likely to be stronger on the new as its new perhaps so the spring is pushing and the pressure is kind of pulsing. 

if anyone has had this and knows for definite.... it would be a shame to put another new clutch in....

3 hours ago, skoosh1970 said:

Have you considered either clutch or brake switches under the dash just above/behind the pedals??

Had problems with revs rising and falling when pulling off resulting in stalling, one of these switches had worked loose. Worth a check.

50 minutes ago, Jim b said:

Had problems with revs rising and falling when pulling off resulting in stalling, one of these switches had worked loose. Worth a check.

interesting - as actually I did have my clutch switch bypassed but put it back into working as I added Cruise control at the time just after I had done all the work

When you say worked loose - how do mean - was it super obvious?

not got to checking yet - day job and then dark 🙂 but I have driven the car and had a brief look - all the pedal switches look ok. I did buy a new slave cylinder and the fluid was changed on last service.

The car drives fine most of the time - it is just the slow stuff. 

The other topic which I mentioned is semi related - and does make it tricky to really live the car right now - is the gear shift has play and feels 'off' has done for ages and actually I replaced the front engine mount which was split hoping this would fix this rocking under load and make it all feel tighter. No change. 
when I took the gearbox out the selector stuff did feel sloppy to me but I have no reference, the gearbox brackets themselves - I didn't really check the cables. 

I was hoping to borrow a gopro to see what is moving under there so I can not have to spend 100's. The gearbox mounts didnt feel loose when they were off the car. 
I suppose it could be an abused gearbox, which has play...not sure how I'd check that? there is no noise and the fluid was dirty but had no metal bits in it when I did a change, when box was out for clutch.

So in conclusion I think the rock/movement under load that is felt in the gear lever has to be the rear mounts or play in the box

the In gear but not under load movement is around 0.5 cm - must be the cable or ends or leaver mechanism - it has changed I feel it was not like this 4 years ago ?

On 10/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, Dubdubz said:

not got to checking yet - day job and then dark 🙂 but I have driven the car and had a brief look - all the pedal switches look ok. I did buy a new slave cylinder and the fluid was changed on last service.

The car drives fine most of the time - it is just the slow stuff. 

The other topic which I mentioned is semi related - and does make it tricky to really live the car right now - is the gear shift has play and feels 'off' has done for ages and actually I replaced the front engine mount which was split hoping this would fix this rocking under load and make it all feel tighter. No change. 
when I took the gearbox out the selector stuff did feel sloppy to me but I have no reference, the gearbox brackets themselves - I didn't really check the cables. 

I was hoping to borrow a gopro to see what is moving under there so I can not have to spend 100's. The gearbox mounts didnt feel loose when they were off the car. 
I suppose it could be an abused gearbox, which has play...not sure how I'd check that? there is no noise and the fluid was dirty but had no metal bits in it when I did a change, when box was out for clutch.

So in conclusion I think the rock/movement under load that is felt in the gear lever has to be the rear mounts or play in the box

the In gear but not under load movement is around 0.5 cm - must be the cable or ends or leaver mechanism - it has changed I feel it was not like this 4 years ago ?

The play in the gear shifter is most likely due to the white plastic yoke component that transfers left-to-right movement into a forward-and-backwards motion for the cables. If you take the gaiter off you can drive with the car in gear and under load and ask a passenger to check where the movement is. 

• Thanks 1

So I changed the slave cylinder and rebled. 
it is not an easy job. I didn’t drop or move anything other than the rear passenger wheel. 
lots of swearing. 
the bell housing hole needs to be clean, and I also used Vaseline on the rubber boot.

bolt and threaded hole need to be cleaned. I used a tap and die(m8x 1.25) 

then you do have to lever it, there is not enough room or angle to adequately get plunger compressed. I used a screwdriver to help locate the threaded hole. There is a stop to the right, that helps locate and hold whilst you carefully remove screwdriver and insert bolt. 

it’s much better, but it’s still not quite right. I’ll monitor it over the next few days. My crappy reverse this morning up a small curb onto my drive did still result in burning rubber clutch smell. 
(I’ll check my purchase, maybe I bought the wrong one?)

maybe I’m just so used to my auto landrover?

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got to say a quick thank you to contributors on this thread. Engine on my car has always felt strong on the move but has been strangely difficult to deal with in low speed car park type situations. Your description of the faulty clutch switch (red one) above made me wonder if there could be a fault here.  I was aware that the engine map switches when you dip the clutch so it makes a kind of sense.
As a new switch was only 20 something quid I ordered a new one and popped it in today. After a trip into town to sample the worst situations (traffic jams and car parks) the car feels much improved.  And gear changes on the move seem smoother as well. Hopefully I’m not imagining it and time will tell but at the moment I’m very pleased. 

Just now, Arfur said:

Yes. Always started fine. Just annoying to drive at low speeds…most of which I had put down to me normally driving a diesel and having problems adapting to a petrol. 

Do you have a part number chap?

I might try it for 20 something spent. My wife says it’s fine but I’m with you i don’t seem to gel with it and had put it down to my weirdness. So much so I’ve been looking at alternatives and avoiding driving it. 
I’m also going to clean the MAF, I’ve never checked it, and it’s done 70k so must need a dust 🤣