Spyder Performance IMS bearing

markjh

I'll be replacing the clutch in my 2001 986S in the coming weeks.

I may take the opportunity to replace the IMS bearing while I'm in there and have been exploring options.

Came across this bearing and insertion tool rental from Spyder Performance earlier. Gave them a call late this afternoon and they told me it's their own solution, not a something they are distributing for a third party. 

It's considerably cheaper than anything else I've found, and renting the tooling rather than buying it is another plus.

Has anyone fitted one of these or have any other knowledge or experience of this IMS kit?

Many thanks

Mark

General advice from @TROOPER88 who runs Torque Boxsters and has had many through his hands is, replace on condition.  Read the post on this in the Technical section, he loaned me two used IMSBs as part of my research to get more fact based info without the 'all IMSBs fail' hype from across the pond.  Yes, they do fail but not it the numbers the reporting would have you believe.

Your 2001 car will have a single row bearing that cost about £5 in it, so cost to replace like-for-like would be minimal in parts (to put the cost of other solutions in perspective) if you have the flywheel off.  Also do the RMS whilst you are in there as they do develop leaks.

In fairness to me I did say that I "may" replace the IMS while doing the clutch, only ever intended on doing it once I'd inspected it. 😀

I've just read the posts in the Tech section (sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place) and like for like replacement seams like a sensible option, which I hadn't considered, if it needs replacing at all - so thanks for that!

Part of the attraction of the Spyder kit was the option to rent the replacement tool, rather than having to buy it.