Ignition barrel issues

Clarky2

Had a cracking day yesterday chasing my mate in his 997 around the villages of Suffolk in my bargain basement 986. The Boxster performed admirably despite its knackered suspension and iffy brakes.

Just after we stopped for this photo I noticed an issue with the ignition barrel and when we got back I struggled to remove the key, however the display stayed on even after I had wiggled it around and successfully removed it. A bit more jiggling and I did manage to switch everything off and remove the key but clearly there is an issue there. Is this something others have experienced and is there a simple fix?

Cheers

Jonathan

3516845C-2E79-40B3-AA84-D9F8A2956B56.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Clarky2 said:

Had a cracking day yesterday chasing my mate in his 997 around the villages of Suffolk in my bargain basement 986. The Boxster performed admirably despite its knackered suspension and iffy brakes.

Just after we stopped for this photo I noticed an issue with the ignition barrel and when we got back I struggled to remove the key, however the display stayed on even after I had wiggled it around and successfully removed it. A bit more jiggling and I did manage to switch everything off and remove the key but clearly there is an issue there. Is this something others have experienced and is there a simple fix?

Cheers

Jonathan

3516845C-2E79-40B3-AA84-D9F8A2956B56.jpeg

Great picture.

Read this item from the How To section, I think it covers your issue which started exactly as mine started.:

I thought barrel too to start with, however there is a mechanical cam and spring assembly in the switch housing that captures the key and makes the clunk as you pull the key out.  It is this assembly that starts to fail.

There are many switches from £25 upwards on eBay. I assume they are all pattern parts and could be of dubious quality.
Can anyone recommend a good quality switch?

1 minute ago, phazed said:

There are many switches from £25 upwards on eBay. I assume they are all pattern parts and could be of dubious quality.
Can anyone recommend a good quality switch?

Mine was a generic aftermarket from ECP (it failed 2 days before a trip to Europe, so not a lot of choice other than what was in stock in town...) , about £38 IIRC, quality seemed good and it is still fine after 18 months.  It is a common VAG part.

• 4 weeks later...

Just removed the old electrical switch. What a job!

Light switch out, corner dashboard trim and vent out, ducting gubbins from behind out. Graham screws sealed with some sort of chalky paint on top. Scrape off with a very sharp 90° 12“ long pic. Grind down and adapt a very short fine stubby screwdriver. Spray WD-40 or similar over the screw heads and work with pic to remove paint. Spray a bit more, and squeeze hand through vent aperture and eventually wiggle the two grub screws loose and hey presto, switch can be removed. Not for the faint hearted and if you ask me to do yours, the answer will be a resounding no!Just waiting on delivery of new switch and hopefully we will see some sort of  Electrical Messiah doing its magic. 

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Just removed the old electrical switch. What a job!

Light switch out, corner dashboard trim and vent out, ducting gubbins from behind out. Graham screws sealed with some sort of chalky paint on top. Scrape off with a very sharp 90° 12“ long pic. Grind down and adapt a very short fine stubby screwdriver. Spray WD-40 or similar over the screw heads and work with pic to remove paint. Spray a bit more, and squeeze hand through vent aperture and eventually wiggle the two grub screws loose and hey presto, switch can be removed. Not for the faint hearted and if you ask me to do yours, the answer will be a resounding no!Just waiting on delivery of new switch and hopefully we will see some sort of  Electrical Messiah doing its magic. 

Did you follow the How To on here? I wrote it after doing mine. It is not easy access but it certainly wasn't the hardest electrical job I've done on a car. Add some notes to the How To if you think they would be helpful to someone else doing the job.

Then again, I suppose I've just changed both door looms to add speakers and courtesy lights and also retro fitted cruise in the past, so everything is relative.

The worst aspect of it all was getting the grub screws undone hence the soaking with the WD-40 equivalent at various stages, and working the strange chalky paint they used to seal over the grub screws.

New ignition switch arrived this afternoon. Decided that I would rather have my fingers as they are rather then wannabe frozen fish fingers in the garage. Hopefully will man up tomorrow and see if fitting it will solve a few electrical gremlins!

3 hours ago, phazed said:

New ignition switch arrived this afternoon. Decided that I would rather have my fingers as they are rather then wannabe frozen fish fingers in the garage. Hopefully will man up tomorrow and see if fitting it will solve a few electrical gremlins!

Wimp.