Water leak on/through door seal

Mallone

I've recently been going through a few jobs on my 986 to make sure it's water tight for winter. This has involved replacing both tired door membranes as I was getting quite a bit of water ingress through the door cards when it was raining heavily. Not my first boxster so I'm used to fixing issues like this. All door, roof and bulkhead drains also clear and clean.

I'm now noticing that, despite the passenger door card now being bone dry when it rains, I'm still getting water pooling on top of the seal on the door sill and then running down into the carpets when it rains. The passenger door on this car doesn't look original so when I sorted the membrane out I also made sure to fit the right bungs back into the door on the bottom, and where the window regulator adjustment is etc. I also replaced the missing foam bung that the mirror electrical connector goes in and painstakingly readjusted the window to ensure the seal is good against the A pillar and roof.

As far as I can work out the door is now doing the right thing as far as rain is concerned, but somehow it's still getting in and pooling on the sill. Picture attached to show roughly where it's pooling/getting in.

Even with a new membrane and dry carpets on the door could it still be weeping through the door card clips? Anything else I should be checking?

IMG_2750.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone finds themselves here after googling it - I've got to the bottom of this. 

The door car wasn't sitting tightly enough against the weather membrane to get it to seal properly and water was also wicking through the door card clips, landing on the top of the door seal, and then locking into the carpet under the umbrella holder trim.

Previous owner had fitted aftermarket speakers to the door cards on my car and, although they fit fairly nicely in the cavity in the door where the OEM speakers would have gone, they were clearly creating a bit of pressure between the door card and the door membrane.

Fitted a set of 14mm speaker spacers to the door card to let the speakers have a bit more breathing room at the rear and it's allowed the door card to sit more flush against the membrane, sealing it fully against the door and allowing the door card clips to fully locate into the door itself. Been bone dry ever since (and after I pulled the carpet out and let it dry for a week. They hold SO MUCH WATER!)

Job jobbed 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mallone said:

Just in case anyone finds themselves here after googling it - I've got to the bottom of this. 

The door car wasn't sitting tightly enough against the weather membrane to get it to seal properly and water was also wicking through the door card clips, landing on the top of the door seal, and then locking into the carpet under the umbrella holder trim.

Previous owner had fitted aftermarket speakers to the door cards on my car and, although they fit fairly nicely in the cavity in the door where the OEM speakers would have gone, they were clearly creating a bit of pressure between the door card and the door membrane.

Fitted a set of 14mm speaker spacers to the door card to let the speakers have a bit more breathing room at the rear and it's allowed the door card to sit more flush against the membrane, sealing it fully against the door and allowing the door card clips to fully locate into the door itself. Been bone dry ever since (and after I pulled the carpet out and let it dry for a week. They hold SO MUCH WATER!)

Job jobbed 👍

The factory door cards for speakers are stepped into the cabin to allow more space for the speakers, which also fit in boxes that mate very neatly with the door membrane into that baggy bit near the bottom.  I have just swapped my door cards to the factory speaker ones and have eliminated a similar leak to that you describe when I resealed the membrane to the doors using a continuous bead of butyl tape.

ibZVklq.jpg 

UViojky.jpg 

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 5:48 PM, ½cwt said:

The factory door cards for speakers are stepped into the cabin to allow more space for the speakers, which also fit in boxes that mate very neatly with the door membrane into that baggy bit near the bottom.  I have just swapped my door cards to the factory speaker ones and have eliminated a similar leak to that you describe when I resealed the membrane to the doors using a continuous bead of butyl tape.

ibZVklq.jpg 

UViojky.jpg 

Them door cards look better. 😉👍