987.1 Drive Shaft Corrosion

MarcusF

This corrosion and leaking grease was noted at my main service today. I have an MOT in Jan and suspect this will fail.

The car is a 2005 987.1  5 speed.

It looks like I will need a whole drive shaft, is this correct? 

IMG_7644.jpeg.b8862286aa0a81d86e2ff78392232ef0.jpeg

IIRC that end of the shaft has no serviceable parts, so yes, it will ultimately need replacing. Mine is going that way, so I have an ebay find sat in my garage for when it gets too bad. In the short term you can clean the rust off and paint/treat the rust to slow the inevitable decay.

• Thanks 1

Yes, the outboard end is built on to the shaft.  A lower mileage/better condition one from a breaker is the lowest price solution, a genuine new one is lots!  With a used one you can clean it up and apply more corrosion resistant paint prior to fitting.  Seems to be more of these corroded and leaking driver shaft ends coming up recently.

Just make sure you get the right one, 5 speed, 6 speed or tip, they are all different.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Yes, the outboard end is built on to the shaft.  A lower mileage/better condition one from a breaker is the lowest price solution, a genuine new one is lots!  With a used one you can clean it up and apply more corrosion resistant paint prior to fitting.  Seems to be more of these corroded and leaking driver shaft ends coming up recently.

Just make sure you get the right one, 5 speed, 6 speed or tip, they are all different.

Thanks for that, I’ll start the search! I’ll try cleaning it up and painting and watch what happens in the short/medium term!

Yeah mine was like that but only an advisory on the MOT. I can't imagine it would ever look worse, so I wonder if it would have ever failed?

However, I had mine replaced - found on old one for £100 on eBay (£1200 from OPC!!!!) and Paul refurbished and fitted it.

The REALLY annoying thing is that the same part for a 986 costs £150 new! I just don't get that as they look really similar...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nelmo said:

The REALLY annoying thing is that the same part for a 986 costs £150 new! I just don't get that as they look really similar...

Not from Porsche they don't!  About £1000, so 17% less...  Aftermarket ones can be had from £150 though.

I must say that when I bought my 986 and started work on the underside. I was disappointed at the amount of rust on a lot of the components. Since then I have seen the underside of many a 986 and 987 cars and I’ve been amazed that most of them have been at least as bad, if not worse! I don’t feel so bad now! By comparison my what seems much pampered 987.1 is pretty spotless underneath and will be kept that way! 

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Not from Porsche they don't!  About £1000, so 17% less...  Aftermarket ones can be had from £150 though.

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant - there aren't any aftermarket ones for the 987 - hopefully, they will come along before my other side needs doing.

Just now, phazed said:

I must say that when I bought my 986 and started work on the underside. I was disappointed at the amount of rust on a lot of the components. Since then I have seen the underside of many a 986 and 987 cars and I’ve been amazed that most of them have been at least as bad, if not worse! I don’t feel so bad now! By comparison my what seems much pampered 987.1 is pretty spotless underneath and will be kept that way! 

Metal is metal - look at the underside of an old Bentley/VW/Merc/Honda - they will all look bad. The trick is not to look 🙂 

55 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Metal is metal - look at the underside of an old Bentley/VW/Merc/Honda - they will all look bad. The trick is not to look 🙂 

The underside of my sons 2007 Mercedes ML320, (passed on from me) has 180K on the clock, running on all original running gear apart from one wheel bearing and one air spring and is pretty immaculate underneath. Topside looks like a show car, (he does suffer from mild ocd mind).

Always been impressed by that car. Should have kept it…

12 hours ago, phazed said:

BTW, I prepared, treated the rust with Kurust and painted the metal work on the shafts in Hammerite.

Great if it hasn't started leaking grease.  If it is leaking the metal has split.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:54 AM, phazed said:

BTW, I prepared, treated the rust with Kurust and painted the metal work on the shafts in Hammerite.

I'll probably have a go at mine too. Is it generally best to leave the grooved ring thing alone or should I try to treat that too?

IMG-20231207-WA0023.jpg

7 hours ago, ATM said:

I'll probably have a go at mine too. Is it generally best to leave the grooved ring thing alone or should I try to treat that too?

IMG-20231207-WA0023.jpg

By the grooved ring thing, I assume you meant the one with teeth at the right end in the pic.  Just clean that, it is the pick up for the ABS sensor.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

By the grooved ring thing, I assume you meant the one with teeth at the right end in the pic.  Just clean that, it is the pick up for the ABS sensor.

Yes that's the one. But is it steel and will it rust away?