Power steering lines

Everywhen

Just got back from a lovely drive out in the 986, the first for 4 weeks and as I pulled onto the drive, no power steering and power steering fluid all over the drive under the front of the car.

I suspect either the pressure or return line on the rack has let go due to corrosion.

Anyone changed these, easy job or a PIA?

There are feed lines and also hard lines on the rack.  Porsche do not supply the hard lines as separate parks, only a complete rack, but they can be sourced from here:

Porsche 911 Power Steering Rack Pipes (1998-2005) (powersteeringstore.co.uk)

Sometimes the feed/return lines can be repaired or replaced by hydraulic hose repairers like Pirtek

Feed is 996 347 452 04, return is 996 347 450 08.

As for doing it?  Not a job I've had to tackle yet but I can see some challenges, corroded unions being one of them, access is another.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

On investigation I found that a rubber hose had become detached as the alloy crimp had split, the other end was well on its way but still attached.

It looked like the low pressure return side to me, but to sure I sent some photos to the Porsche Indy I use and they confirmed it was the Return side so a simple fix with a couple of Jubilee clips, a common problem apparently. They said the High Pressure side rarely gives problems.

Access underneath was a bit constricted when on axle stands, ja flexible nut-runner made it easier. Job took me around an hour and most of that was cleaning the fluid off the plastic under tray.

Refilled with CHF and a test drive confirmed normal service has been restored.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Everywhen said:

On investigation I found that a rubber hose had become detached as the alloy crimp had split, the other end was well on its way but still attached.

It looked like the low pressure return side to me, but to sure I sent some photos to the Porsche Indy I use and they confirmed it was the Return side so a simple fix with a couple of Jubilee clips, a common problem apparently. They said the High Pressure side rarely gives problems.

Access underneath was a bit constricted when on axle stands, ja flexible nut-runner made it easier. Job took me around an hour and most of that was cleaning the fluid off the plastic under tray.

Refilled with CHF and a test drive confirmed normal service has been restored.

Common problem indeed. Mine was split and was found at an inspection. Suggest people check there’s as you said, a simple fix. If split, just a jubilee clip over the crimped connector. Sorted. 🤙🏻

• Like 1