Hid xenon conversion parts

milner

I purchased my 986 seventeen years ago and have recently been having problems with one xenon headlight going out. After removing the headlights it appears that the car when new had halogen bulbs and a previous owner has done an upgrade to xenon. I have swapped over the ballasts and lamps with each other and the fault moves to the other headlight. This is good because it eliminates the lighting switch which I replaced about 2 years ago anyway. The kit which has been installed is £150 from design 911,https://www.design911.com/porsche/996--911--1997-05/hid-light-kits/ . Being a tight git I'm looking for something cheaper or ideally the same but cheaper. Any recommendations

39 minutes ago, milner said:

I purchased my 986 seventeen years ago and have recently been having problems with one xenon headlight going out. After removing the headlights it appears that the car when new had halogen bulbs and a previous owner has done an upgrade to xenon. I have swapped over the ballasts and lamps with each other and the fault moves to the other headlight. This is good because it eliminates the lighting switch which I replaced about 2 years ago anyway. The kit which has been installed is £150 from design 911,https://www.design911.com/porsche/996--911--1997-05/hid-light-kits/ . Being a tight git I'm looking for something cheaper or ideally the same but cheaper. Any recommendations

I presume you know this is illegal, and if the MOT examiner is 'switched on'🤣 it will fail?

13 hours ago, milner said:

I have swapped over the ballasts and lamps with each other and the fault moves to the other headlight.

Are the ballast and lamp a single assembly?

If not have you swapped the lamp only?

It may be that you only need replace the lamp or the ballast. 

16 hours ago, Everywhen said:

I bought my 986 in Feb this year, it had a HID conversion in 2017 and has passed every MOT since.

They are terrible.

Quite apart from the illegality I got my motorcycle (legal) HID conversion in the original headlight from HIDS4U, perhaps yours were cheap Chinese one? (Still although they were 'awful' they appear to have met the MOT beam patterns...... if the tester was doing his job.)