Oil type options 986 2.5

Nesva

Quick History. My 986 2.5 has been in storage for the most part over the past 12 years. I inherited it from my dad around 4 years ago and had it running for around 12 months but then had issues with it so it went back in storage until September this year when I could afford to try and get it back on the road again......

Two mechanics and:
6 coils packs,
2 x O2 sensors 
6 x Sparks plugs
1 x Air Filter
1 x Fuel Filter.
It was running in a 'fashion' and got through an MOT.... however it still wasn't right, idle lumpy from cold and lacking in power when pushed.
I bought a diagnostics tool myself last week MAF error code, changed the MAF, all seems to be running great now fingers crossed!! 
Am a little annoyed that the two mechanics didn't seem to try this and replaced a lot of other things that maybe didn't need replacing but hey ho..

While I'm on a roll I'd like to change the oil as it hasn't been done for over 12 years. It currently had 0W 40 Mobil in it. The oil still looks quite clean but obviously would benefit from changing. I've looked online and spoken to Design 911 and am confused to what type to use.

Its seems below are the options!

0W 40 FS
5W 40 FS
5W 50 FS (Apparently Porsche now recommend this for older engines?)

Any thoughts on this please would be appreciated! 

I think Mobil 1 0W 40 is the OE spec, but 5W 40 is fine as we don’t have very cold winters in the U.K. where the low temp viscosity is important. If the engine has done a lot of miles then maybe 5W 50. Mines done 164k and is running fine on Fuchs Supersyn 5W 40. Just make sure the oil has the Porsche A40 approval. What mileage is your on?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nesva said:

Hi thanks for this Nobbie, my car has 68k miles. What oil manufacturers are best to use? 

Have a search on here and you’ll find lots of opinions. I use Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W 40 as it is A40 approved and a decent price.

2 hours ago, Nesva said:

Hi thanks for this Nobbie, my car has 68k miles. What oil manufacturers are best to use? 

Mobil is the 'Porsche' oil but any oil with Porsche A40 would be fine.  At 68k miles you should not have wear that would prompt using 5W50, stick to 0W-40.  Mobil 1 is quite costly, but their Super 3000 is also on the Porsche list. Also bear in mind Mobil 1 has always been formulated for high milage and long drain intervals so if you are not going to do high mileage but still do an annual oil change paying top whack for Mobil 1 if you are on a bit of a budget may be using the 3000 will help with that. @the baron I believe is using this oil in his 210k + mile 2.5 986.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:11 PM, ½cwt said:

Mobil is the 'Porsche' oil but any oil with Porsche A40 would be fine.  At 68k miles you should not have wear that would prompt using 5W50, stick to 0W-40.  Mobil 1 is quite costly, but their Super 3000 is also on the Porsche list. Also bear in mind Mobil 1 has always been formulated for high milage and long drain intervals so if you are not going to do high mileage but still do an annual oil change paying top whack for Mobil 1 if you are on a bit of a budget may be using the 3000 will help with that. @the baron I believe is using this oil in his 210k + mile 2.5 986.

I do indeed use Mobile 3000 on my 1997 2.5 Boxster. The key is regular oil changes, I change mine either every year or every 3-5000 miles. I always cut open the oil the filer looking for shiny bits etc, all good so far.

On my 911, (996) I use Millers 10W50 this is recommend by Hartech who rebuilt my engine a few years back,

The 10W50 is also recommend by Porsche for older cars,  or necessarily Millers though. ( Millers is very expensive but worth the extra in my opinion)