Losing power under heavy acceleration ('97 2.5)

Norbert

Hi,

Today my car developed a new issue. Under heavy acceleration it loses power around 4k rpm. The engine can still rev the whole range under light to modorate acceleration. No CEL, and no other symptoms. In fact under 4k rpm the car drive as you would expect. 

- I already checked the air filter (1.5 years, looks mint). Spark plugs changed 2 years ago (<10k miles). O2 sensors are giving signal.

Any idieas how to diagnose this?

Thanks!

Definitely worth checking the Coil packs, I replaced mine recently - none were cracked - but cyl No3 had a misfire. I think it was just age, I have no record of them ever having been changed.

With the new coil packs the car revs to the red line so much more smoothly that it did before

If HC are fine then you must be fuelling okay and presumably burning them okay. As you have high CO readings and hesitation above 4K, I wonder if you’ve got a failed catalyst and it’s blocking gas flow in the exhaust?

• Like 1

Coil packs are old for sure, however, I would expect other issues if it was misfire: CEL, rought idle and truble starting. I didn't see any of these. That being said I remember that I saw hairline cracks on the rubber coat of the coil(s) around a year ago. They are surely on the way out...  MAF I will check tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Norbert said:

Yes, I was thinking about that. I can remove the u-pipe tomorrow and look inside. 

That might be less easy than you think.  Be prepared to replace the joint sleeves, and even to have to cut them off...

19 hours ago, Norbert said:

Coil packs are old for sure, however, I would expect other issues if it was misfire: CEL, rought idle and truble starting. I didn't see any of these. That being said I remember that I saw hairline cracks on the rubber coat of the coil(s) around a year ago. They are surely on the way out...  MAF I will check tomorrow!

Oddly I didn’t get CEL, rough idle or trouble starting, misfire only manifested itself between 1500-2500 rpm.