Wanna refurb my console

Ninesomething

It has the usual scratches and I want to go body colour - basalt.  I've bought a new gaiter and handbrake cover to match the steering wheel - i.e. black with red stitching. I also got to fancying a wooden gear knob 917 style. They go for around £50 -£80 but then you have to get an adapter because of the inexplicably complex way the ball fits onto the shifter. This goes another £120. 

I don't need to buy another shifter because this car shifts sweetly and easily. I've had the idea that I can take the shifter rod out, hasksaw a few inches off it and weld a threaded portion to it. I can then screw the ball straght on and it will sit lower than before which is fine by me and I'll be £120 up.

Tell me why this is a stupid idea.

OK so just had a message back from an eBay seller who can make the ball fit the Boxster shifter with a hidden setscrew for a reasonable price. Thing is the shaft will stick out the top of the gaiter which will look a bit naff. Still thinking about sawing a bit of....

2 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

how does shortening the shifter rod get round the need for an adaptor to fit the wooden knob to the shifter?

or is it the existing shifter doesnt have a thread and it is the adaptor that provides the thread?

Like I say by welding a threaded bit on top of the shifter rod you can then just screw the ball onto the rod like most of the world's gearknobs. At the moment the stock shifter slides down over the rod and engages a twist lock that holds it on. All of which is probably overkill if you ask anyone who's ever tried to pull the stock item off.

• Like 1