Radiator brackets

RalphyBMW

I’m going to replace my radiators shortly.

My recollection from doing a fan in-situ is that my radiator mounting brackets are a bit crusty, so I’m considering getting them blasted and powder coated.

Given that I’m doing the radiators, so the car will have the bumper, arch liners, etc removed, is this as straightforward as I imagine?

TIA!

Get new clips for the rad mounts on to the brackets, they will be very crusty too.  While you have it that much apart also consider changing all your front rad hosed from the OE spring type ones to Jubilee clips.  The spring type ones can fracture leading to leaks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Top advice thanks

Mine doesn’t have the centre rad so I reckon I’ve only got the 4 clips (2/rad), already in my basket.

I’ll take a look at the parts diagram for the clips for the rad mounts.

Look at the clips further back down the hoses to where they meet the alloy front rear pipes too.

4 off 999 166 083 09 - rad mounting to support bracket

6 off 999 166 077 02 - fan housing to rad.

These washers for the rad mountings could be corroded too, 4 off 999 025 255 02

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Look at the clips further back down the hoses to where they meet the alloy front rear pipes too.

4 off 999 166 083 09 - rad mounting to support bracket

6 off 999 166 077 02 - fan housing to rad.

These washers for the rad mountings could be corroded too, 4 off 999 025 255 02

That’s awesome thanks

Likely to be a D911 order as they are great value on the radiators, cheaper than anywhere else I can find.

Have you removed the actual brackets?

I’m assuming with the radiators & fans off, liners out of the way, they should be quite straightforward (crumbly fixings notwithstanding)?

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

That’s awesome thanks

Likely to be a D911 order as they are great value on the radiators, cheaper than anywhere else I can find.

I’m assuming with the radiators & fans off, liners out of the way, they should be quite straightforward (crumbly fixings notwithstanding)?

Not gone that far yet. I simply painted up the accessible bit of the (very rusty) frames after wire brushing them whilst I had a lot of the front end and wheel arch liners out to do the brake lines last summer. 

I did the hose clips to Jubilee clips a while back after finding a leak where a spring clip failed, another broke when taking it off.  My rads don't look too bad so I've left well alone. A/c condensers were shot when I got it though. 

I fitted DIY mesh guards inside the bumper vents about 4 years ago which is hopefully helping increase longevity.

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

That’s awesome thanks

It the clips will be more than from Porsche, but with good value on the rads, makes sense. Behr are OE supplier if that helps.

47 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It the clips will be more than from Porsche, but with good value on the rads, makes sense. Behr are OE supplier if that helps.

100% with you but paying for convenience with what I expect to be a relatively small premium, compared to needing to collect from OPC.

I’m planning to go for Mahle, good quality and seems great value compared to anything else.