987 seats in a 986?

phazed

On 3/5/2024 at 2:43 PM, Menoporsche said:

Be creative and work out which bits to change cheaply to make it two-tone. Floor mats, door cards, steering wheel...

I was going to but then I got offered a full set of interior black carpets, complete centre console, and box that goes on the engine cover for a good price. I also made an offer on the dashboard that I saw. If the guy accepts it then my Porsche fund is tapped out for this month. But, all I then still need to make it complete is a set of black door cards. :)

On 3/5/2024 at 4:20 PM, ATM said:

Surely that's a big job - fitting?

Apparently it's not too bad. I guess I'm going to find out the hard way. Fortune favours the brave they say lol. 

1 minute ago, RedBarediver said:

I was going to but then I got offered a full set of interior black carpets, complete centre console, and box that goes on the engine cover for a good price. I also made an offer on the dashboard that I saw. If the guy accepts it then my Porsche fund is tapped out for this month. But, all I then still need to make it complete is a set of black door cards. :)

Apparently it's not too bad. I guess I'm going to find out the hard way. Fortune favours the brave they say lol. 

Ha ha awesome! The guy accepted my offer for the dashboard - which includes the airbag module as well :) From the pictures it looks like it's in good shape which is why I was interested in the first place. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Oooh, problem solved itself!

Is the speedo separate from the dash, you don't have to fit a replacement speedo and then get all the coding? Nice if so.

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Oooh, problem solved itself!

Is the speedo separate from the dash, you don't have to fit a replacement speedo and then get all the coding? Nice if so.

Everything I have seen so far seems to suggest the speedo can be removed.  Sometimes people fit a 911 set of instruments and it looks nice BUT it seems a right old palaver to do and it adds at least another £3-£400 to the cost. All for the addition of oil pressure and ammeter gauges. It does look cool but I am used to the Boxster clocks so I'll just keep them. The speedo should not need to be recoded afterwards as it should retain all the car info (mileage / VIN number etc) and just be able to slot back in.

Once the dashboard has arrived I'll see if it includes the binnacle over the instrument panel (don't think it does). I may have to source one of those in black as well but time will tell.

Just keep the old instrument pod if it the replacement comes with one (I somewhat doubt it as they do fetch money as separate units).  You have to take the pod out to remove the dash anyway.   Looking at the parts cat, dash part numbers are a minefield mostly due to colour and finish by the looks of it but year by year there are various numbers.  I hope the basic structure remained the same, or fitting might be a trial.

56 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Just keep the old instrument pod if it the replacement comes with one (I somewhat doubt it as they do fetch money as separate units).  You have to take the pod out to remove the dash anyway.   Looking at the parts cat, dash part numbers are a minefield mostly due to colour and finish by the looks of it but year by year there are various numbers.  I hope the basic structure remained the same, or fitting might be a trial.

The dash looks pretty similar to mine, but as you say there are always changes and updates etc etc. Hopefully it's not too much of a hassle to get in, even if it isn't the exact same. I don't think the basic 986 interior changed all that fundamentally - at least not within the first generation.

On 3/5/2024 at 12:57 PM, ½cwt said:

Very little use and 'minor' wear to driver's bolster.  Methinks not.  Still not light grey though - Phew! 

Not sure light grey was an option for the 987, so I may be safe.

These seem fairly light and picked them up today!

OKrjWFc.jpg

7 minutes ago, TV8 said:

These seem fairly light and picked them up today!

OKrjWFc.jpg

Look darker than the 986 grey, but then if you've just picked them up I guess you have a use for them.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Look darker than the 986 grey, but then if you've just picked them up I guess you have a use for them.

Yes, I am going to replace my 986 standards. I would say that my seats are leather and have taken on a bit "character" over the years and are slightly darker than the plastic which is definitely lighter than these. 

Hp6f7TN.jpg

I thought that you had sport back seats Graham?

20 minutes ago, phazed said:

I thought that you had sport back seats Graham?

No, my 996 had them but not the 986. 

9 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

They look nice condition.  Price?

They appear to be in very good condition. I paid £300 which seemed like a fair asking price so didn't haggle at all. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TV8 said:

They appear to be in very good condition. I paid £300 which seemed like a fair asking price so didn't haggle at all. 

Same as what I paid for a similar set in black. Dead easy to swap out. Literally just two wires to connect. I was stressing for about two weeks beforehand that I would have a hard time getting the electrics sorted but it was very simple in the end. No doubt if I had bought heated seats with a memory function I would still be struggling (and have paid a LOT more).

And, it makes the car interior feel and look so much better :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Literally just two wires to connect. I was stressing for about two weeks beforehand that I would have a hard time getting the electrics sorted but it was very simple in the end. No doubt if I had bought heated seats with a memory function I would still be struggling (and have paid a LOT more).

Thanks. Did you swap over the seat belt connectors and keep the wiring for those attached?

On 3/8/2024 at 1:48 PM, TV8 said:

Thanks. Did you swap over the seat belt connectors and keep the wiring for those attached?

There is no wiring on the passenger side connector on a 986. Just driver side only. This wire just turns on the seat belt light on the dash. So if you don't connect the wire the light will never illuminate. If you do connect the wire the light will illuminate when the belt is not connected. If you connect the wire and insert a belt the light will not illuminate.

In my 986 I decided to stop using the standard connectors when I switched to fixed buckets. So I now use a generic connector off ebay. Obviously this has no wiring. Reasons for the switch not necessarily relevant here.

20230924-115610.jpg

13 hours ago, ATM said:

So if you don't connect the wire the light will never illuminate. If you do connect the wire the light will illuminate when the belt is not connected. If you connect the wire and insert a belt the light will not illuminate.

Thanks. I assume this is in the connectors under the seat on the standard loom. It sound like it should all be obvious when I take the seat out. 

10 hours ago, TV8 said:

Thanks. I assume this is in the connectors under the seat on the standard loom. It sound like it should all be obvious when I take the seat out. 

Yes, the seatbelt wire is easy to see. It just plugs into the connector on the seat side. Car side there are just two wires ( a positive and a negative) to worry about. If you have a seat with memory and heating it is a bit more involved to get it all working but the standard seat is dead easy to install and get working. I mean, I managed it and I don't know anything about auto electrics.

12 hours ago, TV8 said:

There is only one plug.  But if you break into it there are some small plugs which make up the bigger plug.  So the white bit - removed in pic 3 - is for the seat belt connector.  But like i say you can just screw them in without connecting any leads or wires.  If you do this then the back rest wont move as it will have no power.  Worked fine in both my cars as the position was ok when I screwed them in. I liked them so much in my 986 that I got some for my 996 too. And as discussed the seat belt light on the dash will never illuminate.

20210916-184924.jpg

20210916-190002.jpg

20210916-190926.jpg

20210916-192633.jpg

@RedBarediver Thanks, I am going to not bother with the heating at first and will be fitting this week assuming the weather doesn't stop pay and it all looks nice and simple.

@ATM Thank you for that. I have taken the passenger seat aside and that does not have the seat belt one and understand what needs to happen now. 

7egFqu4.jpg

I went for a couple of test drives in the 986 yesterday. I have the original touring seats fitted, soon to change. They have absolutely no lateral support at all and considering that these were standard seats for a sports car are a very poor effort! 

I fitted these yesterday. Well done to the person who fitted them in 1.5 hours. It took me an hour to work out how to unclip the wiring loom connectors on the seats and my soldering iron is not really up to such heavy gauge wire. I got there in the end though and very pleased with the seats, improved driving position and driving experience due to how firm and snug/fitted they are compared with what was in there before.

A quick test on battery before fitting confirmed there are heaters in the seats and the size difference between the two is noticeable side by side. The colour also looks different although the car has several shades of grey plastic, leather and carpet within and looks great.

XKg8fqI.jpgBuVpNQ6.jpgaPDVN0J.jpg

• Like 2