Exhaust connecting pipe to manifold gasket keeps on leaking?

carl s

The gasket between the cats and the connecting pipe to the backbox keeps on leaking, on the second set now and it looks like the last garage knocked out the studs and replaced them with nuts/bolts I suspect they might have got miss-shaped if they were a bit "over enthusiastic" knocking them out. Classic exhaust leak ticking sound and black soot coming from between the flanges/metal gasket.  Has anyone else encountered this? I suspect I might use a bit of Permatex red RTV to make sure it seals when the new Carnewal system goes on soon.

2 hours ago, carl s said:

The gasket between the cats and the connecting pipe to the backbox keeps on leaking, on the second set now and it looks like the last garage knocked out the studs and replaced them with nuts/bolts I suspect they might have got miss-shaped if they were a bit "over enthusiastic" knocking them out. Classic exhaust leak ticking sound and black soot coming from between the flanges/metal gasket.  Has anyone else encountered this? I suspect I might use a bit of Permatex red RTV to make sure it seals when the new Carnewal system goes on soon.

Are you using Elring gaskets? If so consider fitting two

5 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Or slacken off the mounting clamp and then tighten up

Don't know if they are Elring gaskets, I have a new set of the metal ones from Porsche

Edited by carl s

9 hours ago, carl s said:

Don't know if they are Elring gaskets, I have a new set of the metal ones from Porsche

Yes they will be Elrond you could try a girder clamp as a fourth clamping point