Discs and Pads

paul111s

I just purchased Brembo discs and Textar pads for the rear from Autodoc at a cracking price (along with front discs and pads for The Better ½'s Golf Cabrio it was £260 all in).  They were very competitive for the same brands on the front when I purchased a year ago for the front.  Use their app to order, pricing is better and check for their higher discount days, but beware of the 8 days of so delivery time as the ordered come in from Germany.

By the way Textar are the OE Porsche pad, but it is virtually impossible to get the Porsche OE discs under its aftermarket brand.

Edited by ½cwt

I bought Febi discs and pads for the front a few years back and they were / are very good at around £60 all up as I recall.

Strangely, I couldn't find any Febi rear discs or pads and was browsing through the Autodoc website and noticed they were selling Stark rear discs at £9.16 each !!

I checked out Stark and found them to be a large German automotive parts manufacturer, so ordered up rear discs and Stark pads for around £30 as I recall, expecting them to be very poor, but they were "engineering works of art" when the arrived. Fitted fine and work well.

I accept that spending more money on brakes is probably an option if you plan spirited driving or track days etc., but for normal motoring there are some good deals out there.

Since that time, Stark components have increased quite dramtically in price, so maybe I just got lucky ....

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 12:00 PM, mike597 said:

I've got some spare front pagid discs, sealed boxes which I can do a very competitive price on. 😀

is that the set we got at the same time which i have in the garage that i forgot about till now! :D 

40 minutes ago, fizz said:

is that the set we got at the same time which i have in the garage that i forgot about till now! :D 

Maybe... 😉 I've got one more spare set if anyone is interested.... Less than half what euro car parts are charging 😂

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2024 at 8:51 AM, kdh said:

I bought my disc/pad kit from this supplier, good service and price. Mine are APEC cross drilled. They work very well indeed.

On the right discount day on Autodoc, they are still hard to beat on whatever brands they are offering.  Today for example £440 for Brembo front and rear discs and Textar pads for a Boxster 3.2 S and £330 for same brands for a Boxster 2.7.  

I have now approx 1,5 years / 5500 km on summer only Brembo discs that still look pretty much pristine. Same age Brembo OEM style pads that have approx 1/3 thickness left on the center, but otherwise pretty much dead and falling in to peaces  & delaminating from corners - probably from track use.

Just received Ferodo DS2500 pads all around. I'll install those probably in two weeks from now. After that we'll see how those hold up and perform on street & track use.

Car parts for less can be good. I just tried Brembo discs and pads. For some reason they show a really cheap front right disc for 35 quid but no left disc in Brembo - other brands are available. I'd be tempted to get the one from them and the other elsewhere.

I believe it's just the online version of euro car parts so you can choose to collect and that's usually a couple of business days only and if you live near a store handy and free.

They also do random discounts. I was checking a few days ago and there was a 20% off code but that's ended now.

For 3 Brembo discs and all 4 pads I get 275.33 - screenshot below. That looks cheap to Me if you can source the remaining front disc for 100 elsewhere. 

The serious or smarter cheap skate - depending on your view - might just use 2 x right sided front discs. Then you'd be all in for 310 quid. That's a BARGAIN especially if you can use a discount code on top. The only difference between the sides is the direction of the pattern for the drilled holes.

You could of course chop and change and buy bits from different sources too...

Screenshot-20240323-045541-Chrome.jpg

CP4L have had those one handed Brembo discs for a very long time.  Brembo have actually updated their cross drill pattern and no longer offer left and right front for the 986S, see below.  I have this new pattern on mine and though I don't track it I've found no problems and Brembo aren't mugs when it comes to brakes, it also avoids stockists getting into the situation CP4L/ECP are in.

HPcgAhr.jpg 

31 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

CP4L have had those one handed Brembo discs for a very long time.  Brembo have actually updated their cross drill pattern and no longer offer left and right front for the 986S, see below.  I have this new pattern on mine and though I don't track it I've found no problems and Brembo aren't mugs when it comes to brakes, it also avoids stockists getting into the situation CP4L/ECP are in.

HPcgAhr.jpg 

I didn't know that thanks. The new pattern still looks asymmetric to me. Where as the rear discs have no asymmetry. 

I know the calipers are made by Brembo. Does anyone know who made the OE discs and pads?

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Searching on ebay for [318 Porsche] I found a full set of discs and pads front for 71.99 only!

Their marketing pics look pretty good too.

How bad can cheap brakes really be?

Someone needs to try them. Maybe if I had my own YouTube channel I might do it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176238811014

s-l1600.webp

You could just get a pair of pagid disks brand new on eBay for a 986 from this guy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334842067217?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mGX-idnQS5e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mGX-idnQS5e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

He's got fantastic feedback and is probably an all round top guy. Looks likes he's got just one pair left so be quick. 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mike597 said:

You could just get a pair of pagid disks brand new on eBay for a 986 from this guy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334842067217?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mGX-idnQS5e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mGX-idnQS5e&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

He's got fantastic feedback and is probably an all round top guy. Looks likes he's got just one pair left so be quick. 😂

I spotted them. He is selling nothing else. So I'm assuming he bought them and decided not to use them. Or maybe you and he are the same person?

35 minutes ago, ATM said:

I spotted them. He is selling nothing else. So I'm assuming he bought them and decided not to use them. Or maybe you and he are the same person?

I see you spotted some clues, Hercule 😂

• Haha 1

As Chris says, the one side that ECP has cheap is very old stock from when they were handed, they changed about 2 years ago to the non handed type, they have 16 in stock.

Brembo make the calipers for Porsche but nothing else, discs are SHW, pads normally Textar

I fitted 2 of the handed Brembo discs to the wifes Boxster (both right sides) as they were £15 each! She is still alive and kicking............................so that plan didnt work

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ATM said:

I didn't know that thanks. The new pattern still looks asymmetric to me. Where as the rear discs have no asymmetry. 

I know the calipers are made by Brembo. Does anyone know who made the OE discs and pads?

They are asymmetric however once on the car it is hard to spot, but as my markings show there are radial patterns in both directions, but that may just be some on with ODC in the hole pattern design department or coincidence of where the internal vanes sit. 

Running two right side discs would mean the left side has the cooling vane turning the wrong way to achieve the turbine effect for optimal airflow for cooling.  Not a problem in day to day road use as noted by @T911UK (there are more efficient but still subtle ways to bump her off, mate!), but on heavy braking road or on track the left front would run hotter and stay hotter for longer.

You can get SHW discs for a 986S:

Brake discs for Porsche 986 S 3.2 252 hp 185 kW 1999 - 2002 M 96.21 ▷ AUTODOC

and there are some interesting design details in some of their discs types but I'm not sure they are in the standard design for Porsche production discs, but if you want it all, go get them but at £222 each for fronts and £165 each for rears at today's prices on Autodoc.  You are looking at £775 for a car set of discs but still a saving on getting them from Porsche directly.....

Our Products | SHW Performance - Official Website