Window doesn’t drop enough..

robert997

Given the dreadful weather I’m fiddling with the car in the garage getting bits done, like sanding the headlights with my new 3m kit !

Something that’s bugged me since i bought the car in May is that the passenger window drops when lifting the handle, but not quite enough to clear the roof, so the door twangs open, and is difficult to shut. Drivers door is perfect.

IS there any way to adjust the drop? A way to reset the position?

Car is going to Zuffenhaus on Thursday for service/MOT so I have that as my back-up solution…

thanks

As far as I know the drop isn't programmable. Only thing I'd suggest is a problem with the window mechanism itself. Does the window wind up and down ok? To the very top and bottom without hesitation?

Regulator cable has stretched. 

There are hacks available (cable ties, bicycle cable adjusters etc to take up the slack) but personally, I would replace the regulator with a new genuine part and avoid non-gen regulators like the plague. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

There are hacks available (cable ties, bicycle cable adjusters etc to take up the slack) but personally, I would replace the regulator with a new genuine part and avoid non-gen regulators like the plague. 

I agree.  If it has stretched, it will break soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Or, if pennies are tighter I fitted a salvage genuine one to my pax side over 4 years ago, still going strong, about 20-25% the price of new on the basis I can afford 3 more changes (either side) with salvage components before I get to the price of one new one and then have to do the driver's side.....

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Or, if pennies are tighter I fitted a salvage genuine one to my pax side over 4 years ago, still going strong, about 20-25% the price of new on the basis I can afford 3 more changes (either side) with salvage components before I get to the price of one new one and then have to do the driver's side.....

Yes, you can go this way but it can back fire.

I fitted a used genuine one to a customers car (obviously they wanted to save money) 10 months ago and it failed last week. 

Not worth messing around as the membrane does not like being removed/refitted etc.

Do a job once and do it right.

• Like 1

Thanks all - yes window goes fully up and down perfectly, drops with the hood mechanism etc.

Appreciate the insight - i will swallow the cost of a new regulator. Have been meaning to register with Porsche Classic at the local OPC Solihull, so this will give the incentive to get over there.

I bought a non original new from eBay because of the same issue the OP has. It made no difference to the window not dropping enough. Lived with it for a couple of years and then bought a used Porsche one with the motor included from eBay. That fixed the window drop issue. I suspect the motor was the issue, not the mechanism in my case.

• 3 weeks later...