718 Leaves us

Stark9

There was a hoohaa in the kit car world a year or 2 ago because there was a proposed change to the IVA manual (the test standard that all manufacturers have to comply with to get a new model approved for sale) which seemed to suggest kit cars would not be allowed.

The change said something along the lines of, "Modifications will not be allowed ... by electronic means". The kit car people focussed on the first part but if you looked at the detail, it was about not allowing cars to have changes done OTA (over the air) ie. remotely through, say, a WiFi connection.

The change was trying to preempt manufacturers including a hackable WiFi feed to cars in real time, which sounds very similar to the cybersecurity stuff stopping 718 production?

I don't know what happened to the proposed changes (they're not in the IVA manual yet) but if the EU do it, I'd be amazed that the UK won't follow suit, especially as they already seemed to have considered it.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:47 AM, Stark9 said:

just the Spyder and GT4 RS continue … not sure how and why…

The how is that they fall under different regs, small series type approval (as if the 718 wasn't small enough volume) but hey ho, "progress" etc.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nelmo said:

There was a hoohaa in the kit car world a year or 2 ago because there was a proposed change to the IVA manual (the test standard that all manufacturers have to comply with to get a new model approved for sale) which seemed to suggest kit cars would not be allowed.

The change said something along the lines of, "Modifications will not be allowed ... by electronic means". The kit car people focussed on the first part but if you looked at the detail, it was about not allowing cars to have changes done OTA (over the air) ie. remotely through, say, a WiFi connection.

The change was trying to preempt manufacturers including a hackable WiFi feed to cars in real time, which sounds very similar to the cybersecurity stuff stopping 718 production?

I don't know what happened to the proposed changes (they're not in the IVA manual yet) but if the EU do it, I'd be amazed that the UK won't follow suit, especially as they already seemed to have considered it.

I've seen YouTube vids of hackers taking control of functions on a car remotely while it was driving.  Obviously they were careful not to do anything which could cause a crash but they implied they could have done if they so wished.

On 3/28/2024 at 10:32 PM, iborguk said:

"The Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS and Spyder RS are not affected, as they fall under small-series type approval."

Porsche Great Britain has confirmed to CAR magazine that it will still be selling every which flavour of 718 for the foreseeable future, as will most markets outside the EU. ‘We will continue to sell all 718 Boxster and Cayman models in the UK, as long as they are built by the factory’ a spokesman told us. ‘We sell a few thousand in the UK each year.’

• 4 weeks later...