Dying Capet, have you tried it? Results?

Norbert

As the title says, I will try to dye my interior carpets as they look old and faded. Anybody tried to change the colour of the black carpet to something more cheerful? Results, any tips, recommend dye, etc?

Edited by Norbert

• Norbert changed the title to Dying Capet, have you tried it? Results?

Getting a light colour to a darker colour is possible, black to something else is much less likely to succeed.  @RedBarediver possibly has a complete grey interior.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Getting a light colour to a darker colour is possible, black to something else is much less likely to succeed.  @RedBarediver possibly has a complete grey interior.

I agree. Black to something else is going to be very difficult. I would imagine you would have to bleach the black first and then try to dye. Much easier to source the colour you want on eBay. I could have tried dying my graphite grey to black but it's a lot less work (and a lot less of a mess) to source black carpets.

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, scorpio63 said:

Try this..Get a tin of quality satan black spray paint and masked the area you do not want sprayed. The carpets will come up a treat and less mess than dye..have used this method ..great results..

Or satin black - otherwise it would be the devil of a job...

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, scorpio63 said:

Try this..Get a tin of quality satan black spray paint and masked the area you do not want sprayed. The carpets will come up a treat and less mess than dye..have used this method ..great results..

Yes, I tried this. It looks good but the paint comes off easily.