Wet foam under carpet

GibBoxster

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1997 986 Boxster of leaking water making its way to the foam under the carpet on both the driver side and passenger side (RHD car). The foam under the driver side was saturated when pulled out, the passenger side was damp. I have never had any issues of the actual carpet getting wet or the door card carpet getting wet either, it has only effected the foam underneath.

I have pulled the carpet out and have found the water is either coming from the inner door weather seal. That coming down below the A pillar, the water tracks into the middle channel of the weather seal, collects at the bottom of the weather seal and flows under the hood release trim and to the foam. 

The other option could be both side window regulators were replaced (before purchase) and I know the door weather seal are not fitted well. I don't believe this is the problem as I got someone to hose the car while inside and saw the water leaking from the weather seal. Also hosed the door (open door) and had no water drip under where the door meet the inner door sill.

Before purchasing new weather seals, wanted to know if there are any other ways the water may be making it way in?

The photo is the weather seal by the fuses on the driver side. You can see the water on the inside of the seal which tacks under where the hood release trim would be.

IMG_5403.jpg

Edited by GibBoxster

Some more information as it won't let me edit. There is also water which collects along the bottom door sill. That being between the inner door weather seal (the body of the car) and the outter weather seal (along the edge of the door).

Two common causes of this are overflow from or damaged rear drains which comes down the rear bulkhead under the carpet, or failed door membranes which allow water from the bottom edge of the doors to then seep down under the carpet. (A third but less common possible place is from the scuttle into the heating ducts or from the heater matrix but tends to only affect the passenger side).

Needs a lot of thorough drying, ideally getting the carpet our of the car as you cant get airflow to allow the water to evaporate and that foam holed lots of water.  At least part lift and prop the carpet up and mop up any free water squeezing the foam as you go along and a dehumidifier is also helpful.  You will find this easier if you ate least get teh seats out (Female E12 Torx socket required)

It is really important to get to the source because if you allow the alarm module under the passenger seat to get wet and water damaged you are in for odd things happening and high three figures expense to fix it.

Good luck to you, I have been fighting with leaks for more than a year now. My advise is also to remove the carpet and try to dry it. I ended up getting a new carpet as the foam was full of mold and mildew. Please check your floorplan too and the alarm module under the seat.

50 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Two common causes of this are overflow from or damaged rear drains which comes down the rear bulkhead under the carpet, or failed door membranes which allow water from the bottom edge of the doors to then seep down under the carpet. (A third but less common possible place is from the scuttle into the heating ducts or from the heater matrix but tends to only affect the passenger side).

Needs a lot of thorough drying, ideally getting the carpet our of the car as you cant get airflow to allow the water to evaporate and that foam holed lots of water.  At least part lift and prop the carpet up and mop up any free water squeezing the foam as you go along and a dehumidifier is also helpful.  You will find this easier if you ate least get teh seats out (Female E12 Torx socket required)

It is really important to get to the source because if you allow the alarm module under the passenger seat to get wet and water damaged you are in for odd things happening and high three figures expense to fix it.

Thanks for the info! I currently have everything out of the cabin. Only thing remaining are shifter cables and pedals - the carpet foam is nearly dry after 2 days out. The water in the photo is from someone hosing the car and the water leaking through the cabin door weather seal. The water has ONLY been affecting the the footwells, NOT under the seats or behind.

I haven't heard of the rear bulkhead drains, any further information on where these are located?

The heating ducts and heater matrix I think can be ruled out. It is affecting both sides, RHS more than the left. Leak also occured when hosing.

My best guess is the inner door membranes aren't sealed as both window regulators were replaced and membranes not attacthed properly afterwards. However, I hosed the door (when door not closed) and didn't have any water leaking from the bottom of the door so I don't believe it is coming from inside the door. This leaves me to think it is the weather seal on the cabin that seats with the door.

7 minutes ago, GibBoxster said:

I haven't heard of the rear bulkhead drains, any further information on where these are located?

Lift up clam shell with roof in service position 

You should have a foam liner thing

It should direct water towards front of car 

On each side is a hole which goes down into the drain

Check this is clear by pouring in water 

Also check no damage to the foam thing because any nicks or holes will obviously allow water out before it gets to the drain

Just now, ATM said:

Would water from these drain holes / lack of drainage allow water to the front footwells without the rear or under seat areas getting wet? I dont see how that could happen? I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, GibBoxster said:

Would water from these drain holes / lack of drainage allow water to the front footwells without the rear or under seat areas getting wet? I dont see how that could happen? I could be wrong.

No

The water would up behind front seats unless maybe you park on a steep hill

15 minutes ago, GibBoxster said:

My best guess is the inner door membranes aren't sealed as both window regulators were replaced and membranes not attacthed properly afterwards. However, I hosed the door (when door not closed) and didn't have any water leaking from the bottom of the door so I don't believe it is coming from inside the door. This leaves me to think it is the weather seal on the cabin that seats with the door.

With leaky membranes you should get a wet door card. The door cards are easy to remove and you can leave them off and still operate the door latch if you wanna poke around for an extended time.

Just now, ATM said:

With leaky membranes you should get a wet door card. The door cards are easy to remove and you can leave them off and still operate the door latch if you wanna poke around for an extended time.

Thats my job for tomorrow. Taking door card off and hosing the car again to see where the leak is. If there is no leak through the door, then the only answer would be the cabin weather seals for the door.

I'll be sure to update this thread with complete explanation of problem and solution once I get it fixed.

I had a puddle in passenger footwell from water getting through cabin filter for the blower

Caused by me leaving plastic covers off below the bonnet

Water was trickling from exterior panel around wipers straight onto cabin filter then in

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ATM said:

I had a puddle in passenger footwell from water getting through cabin filter for the blower

Caused by me leaving plastic covers off below the bonnet

Water was trickling from exterior panel around wipers straight onto cabin filter then in

These photos are from spraying the car with water (relatively high pressure) I've never had water from through the top 1 & 2.

1) Water is entering here which is where i suspect the weather seal is flattened over time and not seating with the door well

2) It then continutes down the weather seal

3) It finds its way to the bottom of the driver footwell

4) it crosses over, this is where the hood release trim would be so I wouldn't have seen it without removing.

5) this is water that has dripped in from the high pressure (I know this is not the cause of the problem i am facing, the top of the carpet would be wet if this was the leak)

IMG_5408.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

Edited by GibBoxster

Looking as the entry points for the water try these options - Get some Gummi Pflege to apply to the rubber seals. If the membranes have been taken off or peeled back to access a window regulator or door latch they need new sealing tape.  Assuming they are undamaged, just not fully stick down, butyl tape can easily be had from eBay.  Helps soften and dry lubricates them so they seal better.  Also has you mirror ever been taken off?  Re-seating them badly can cause space for leaks too.

Finally does the door glass rise to the correct height when closing the door?

33 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Looking as the entry points for the water try these options - Get some Gummi Pflege to apply to the rubber seals. If the membranes have been taken off or peeled back to access a window regulator or door latch they need new sealing tape.  Assuming they are undamaged, just not fully stick down, butyl tape can easily be had from eBay.  Helps soften and dry lubricates them so they seal better.  Also has you mirror ever been taken off?  Re-seating them badly can cause space for leaks too.

Finally does the door glass rise to the correct height when closing the door?

Will get Gummi for the rubber seals and butyl tape to re-do the membrances - they are intact as have had them off to raise the glass to correct height as it was set too low previously. 

I've not had the mirror off but could have in the past..

1 hour ago, ATM said:

My 996 leaked from high pressure but was dry otherwise. So this could be a red herring. Don't put all your eggs in this basket.

Very valid point.

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Very valid point.

Correct.

I believe I have found the culprit!

Where the leak was coming through (1 & 2 previous photos), examined the weather seal and it was compressed. It was compressed both passenger side and driver side. Worse on the driver side which is where the water ingress was worse too.

I manipulated the weather seal but pulling out and openning up the inner channel which would allow water to flow through. Closed the doors and hosed it down again and no leaks. Even took the mirrow controler trim off to have a clear view of the problem area and no issues. I have some of the rubber seal revival stuff that I will apply to both sides today and continue to manipulate the seal untill it gets a good seal to the window and has an open channel along the inner side to allow water to flow through.

Took the door card off and the membrane was intact and secured to the door frame better than I anticipated. Looked a complete seal.

In complete for this issue:

Issue: Wet foam under neath the carpet. No other wet areas or dampness in the cabin.

Solution:

1) I took everything out of the cabin to let the carpet foam dry and to identify the leak.

2) Identified the leak by someone hosing the car liberally with water while I was inside to see where the leak was coming from.

3) Water was making its way from the A pillar weather seal down the seal to the bottom of the door where it collected and overflowed. This wasn't noticable as the boot/hood release trim covered the area as well directed the water under to the foam, not allowing it to get the carpet wet. 

4) After inspecting the weather seals closely, the seal was compressed at the sight of water entry. Presumably from 27 years of the window pressing against the seal. This compression narrowed the channel to take water away and an incomplete seal against window and weather seal.

5) I have now manipulated the seal by pull and expanding the channel, it now seats against the window better and hosed again. No leak!

I will now apply some rubber conditioning treatment and continue to monitor the area and signs of wetness.

IMG_5415.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3