Advice needed MOT failure/ front shock absorber

Clarky2

3 minutes ago, Clarky2 said:

@TROOPER88  I'll have to look back at posts to check, but I spoke to someone on here at the time having published some pics of the car. Basically, the previous owner who was Hertfordshire based had taken the car down to Surrey where a forum member (I thought it was you) had done an inspection which identified a whole load of issues. I turned up a day or two later just to look at the car, having had no intention of buying another car beforehand, and bought it on the spur of the moment. Obviously he hadn't told me about the inspection, but I found out subsequently through this forum.  

It is possible. 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:38 PM, Clarky2 said:

My Boxster purchase was a spur of the moment decision.

So was mine. Once you have bonded with it you are lost :) 

So far I have done, and not in any particular order: complete suspension refresh, heater display, steering wheel and horn, new tyres, bits on the roof, brake booster, brake master cylinder, exhaust (twice), new condensers for the aircon, various little bits for the interior etc etc.

I also bought a hardtop for it (great upgrade) and have now started changing the interior to black. The seats started that process. I didn't enjoy the 986 seats and got hold of a nice set of black 987 seats. Liked the look of it in the car and started changing the interior little by little. Dashboard is done and I am now just waiting for the arrival of the main carpet so I can take out the graphite grey carpet that is still in there. Clutch is going to be changed end of the month thanks to @TROOPER88 who kindly offered his help with that project. I don't think I would have had the cojones to try doing that on my own..

Eventually I will run out of things to fix on this car but probably not anytime soon.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:38 PM, Clarky2 said:

My Boxster purchase was a spur of the moment decision.

So far I have done, and not in any particular order: complete suspension refresh, heater display, steering wheel and horn, new tyres, bits on the roof, brake booster, brake master cylinder, exhaust (twice), new condensers for the aircon, various little bits for the interior etc etc.

I also bought a hardtop for it (great upgrade) and have now started changing the interior to black. The seats started that process. I didn't enjoy the 986 seats and got hold of a nice set of black 987 seats. Liked the look of it in the car and started changing the interior little by little. Dashboard is done and I am now just waiting for the arrival of the main carpet so I can take out the graphite grey carpet that is still in there. Clutch is going to be changed end of the month thanks to @TROOPER88 who kindly offered his help with that project. I don't think I would have had the cojones to try doing that on my own..

Eventually I will run out of things to fix on this car but probably not anytime soon.

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Having just dropped the engine and gearbox and removed the dash, I would say you’d have no problem doing the clutch if you can reinstall that dash. I was relieved it was a one way project for me.

7 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Having just dropped the engine and gearbox and removed the dash, I would say you’d have no problem doing the clutch if you can reinstall that dash. I was relieved it was a one way project for me.

One of those jobs that gravity is only helpful for the removal.  Refitting on the other hand, not so much.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Great description of how these cars just lure you in. Went out for a final cruise around Cambridge earlier, before the MOT runs out and I have to lay her up while I gather all this suspension components. In the dark, hood down, heater on and just enjoying the ride (despite the knackered suspension). 

At the end of the day they were £30+k sports car when new in their era.  They wear out but still cost £30+k sport car prices to run and fix...  May be cheap to buy but they have a hidden way of emptying your wallet from time to time.

• Like 1