Bonnet skin filling with water

moonshine

This is a strange one.

My car is not garaged, but it sits on the street under a cabrioshield half cover when not used. The street has a pronounced camber and the car sits drivers side fown to the kerb by maybe 5 degrees.

After heavy rain, iffy is open the Frunk, water appears to have collected in the bonnet, between the outer skin and the internal ribbing. When the bonnet was opened, it gurgles out and discharges out of the lowest corner of the open bonnet, at the rear beside my drivers A pillar., then rains to ground.

The frunk is dry otherwise 

I can't for the life of me figure out how water is entering and collecting this area between the bonnie skins.

I'm pretty certain it is rainwater rather than washer fluid. Checked the washer pipes and jets and alloy look fine. Will taste test next time 

I'm guessing yhe bonnet has beens off and repainted are some point, so maybe wster getting in though poorly sealed badge? Is there any drainage hole in the bonnet? I can't see any? Maybe they have been painted over?

Posted (edited)

A bit of googling suggest there should be a rubber gasket behind the bonnet badge. 

https://www.design911shop.com/diagrams/d/41566/

https://www.design911.co.uk/p/bonnet-badge-gasket-7l5853611b/

I'll check if it is there. If the bonnet has been repainted at some point, it's possible this was not replaced when the badge was refitted 

Edited by moonshine

Gasket appears OK,, the fixing bolts however have a plastic sleave / bushing that is all broken apart, do this might explain either water getting in this way, or not being able to tighter the badge down against the rubber gasket, so allowing water to get in. I'll pick up a couple of new bolts and see if this addresses the issue 

just noticed there is a rubber pad on the back of the badge as well. As you say I also had some weird round bits that broken up so will prob put some sealant around the pins when refitting 

Posted (edited)

I fitted a new rubber gasket, two new bolts and most significantly, the foil sticker that blocks the three larger holes between in the bonnet beneath the badge was missing (which i now replaced) - i guess the bonnet has been off and repainted at some point in the cars history and the foil sticker has not been refitted . I suspect the foil sticker is the answer to the water ingress. 

Let’s see if this solves the problem. 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2