Tuning Fork Replacement

Fat Rat

Plan today was to replace the tuning forks and exhaust. Unfortunately rain stopped play. I did take the wheel off on the side I have a snooker ball and had a look. I will need to get the under tray off for better access, but my question is.

Is the top nut on the bush end fixed or do I need to get a spanner on it somehow?

Ta. 🤙🏻

4 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Plan today was to replace the tuning forks and exhaust. Unfortunately rain stopped play. I did take the wheel off on the side I have a snooker ball and had a look. I will need to get the under tray off for better access, but my question is.

Is the top nut on the bush end fixed or do I need to get a spanner on it somehow?

Ta. 🤙🏻

Captive nut Sir

Hopefully you shouldn’t have a problem. Mine came out easily and I’m sure they were the original 22 year old items.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Hopefully you shouldn’t have a problem. Mine came out easily and I’m sure they were the original 22 year old items.

Mine were fine too at the same age.

1 minute ago, Norbert said:

Wrench size 18, it's not a typical size. It caught me off guard the first time. :)

18mm on bolts, 19mm on the tuning fork nut IIRC.

Cheers guys. I will have another go next week, weather permitting. I have gathered some 18mm and 15mm sockets etc as worked out doing something else that they like to pick a few awkward sizes. 🤙🏻

Remember torque them up with the wheel in the neutral position as if sitting on flat road. I usually jack up under the ball joint (with a bock of wood or rubber on the jack) to where it just starts to take the weight off the axle stand.

You will need a geometry check afterwards too.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Remember torque them up with the wheel in the neutral position as if sitting on flat road. I usually jack up under the ball joint (with a bock of wood or rubber on the jack) to where it just starts to take the weight off the axle stand.

You will need a geometry check afterwards too.

OK, will do.

Does it really need a geo check after changing the tuning forks?

4 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

OK, will do.

Does it really need a geo check after changing the tuning forks?

Mine was out after doing just tuning forks on the rear.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Mine was out after doing just tuning forks on the rear.

3 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Very strange 

Possible it wasn't perfect before but was only a gap of about 1000 miles and was all straight enough to be all green then, but needed a bit more than just a small tweak to get it out of the red after doing the tuning forks.