Moved the crank before putting the tensioners back in

986Jack

Hi all,

I am almost at the stage of putting the gearbox back on after swapping out the leaking IMS.

I had to return the IMS removal kit before I travelled for a couple of weeks but I now realised that I moved the crank, perhaps 15 degrees, to give me more space to fully wiggle the kit's locking pin free off the pulley, but, at this stage, I had not screwed the tensioners back in.

Will this be an issue and could I have affected the timing? 

Many thanks.

Hmmm.. IMO, it shouldn't do (but may also depend on if it is a 3 or 5 chain cam chain engine), but if it was me I'd be returning the crank to TDC and locking it along with the cams, hopefully nothing has moved.  Then put the tensioners back in, removing the cam and crank locks, rotating the engine and putting the cam and crank locks back in again to check it, then repeat..

However, I'm assuming you've returned the cam/crank locks along with the IMS removal kit?

Thank you. I could do that. On the advice I got, i only locked one crank.... the one on the near left bank.. i have returned the whole kit but i guess i can check the slots are aligned and vertical.

I'm not sure of it's a 3 or 5 chain but it's an S from 2001.

Thank you. 

Yes, hopefully turning without the tensioners was ok then. I've moved it back to TDC now.

I presume to get the timing out, the chain has to skip a tooth on the cog. I know that's easier done on a belted engine.

For this reason, I could not actually understand why the crank and cam shafts need locking for this job.

9 minutes ago, 986Jack said:

Thank you. 

Yes, hopefully turning without the tensioners was ok then. I've moved it back to TDC now.

I presume to get the timing out, the chain has to skip a tooth on the cog. I know that's easier done on a belted engine.

For this reason, I could not actually understand why the crank and cam shafts need locking for this job.

Correct and most indy's from my little experience only lock the crank at TDC.

Mat Watson on YouTube took his 996 to Rennworks and they video the IMSB removal, only the crank was locked. 

15 hours ago, 986Jack said:

I'm not sure of it's a 3 or 5 chain but it's an S from 2001.

You've probably cracked on with this now, but yours should be a 5 chain engine, they changed to 3 in 2003.

As I understand it the chains on the 5-chain design are more tightly wrapped to the sprocket than on the 3-chain version. This means that the 5-chain is less likely to jump a tooth when the tensioners are released to do the IMS than on the 3-chain. Got this info from one of Dempsey's books, I think, and I've seen it repeated in other places.

I've seen YouTube videos of people doing the IMS without locking the cams at all, which seams crazy to me when it only takes a few minutes and some inexpensive tools to do it. When I've had to release the tensioners on mine (5-chain) I've always locked crank & cams, released tensioners, done the work, refitted tensioners, unlocked, rotated, checked again. It takes longer, but removes the extreme nervousness when turning the ignition key..

• Like 1