What is this little thing and where does a vacuum pipe go?

phazed

Just assembled the top end of my 986. Nearside manifold and all the Gubbins assembled. There is a little electrically operated grey vacuum switch of some sort that clips on to the manifold in between the front and middle runners. One of the vacuum pipes goes to a three-way junction and the other shorter one I can’t recall where it goes. Any ideas? 

Is it for the forward plenum?

Not the one with the throttle body - the other towards the front of the car that joins left and right banks.

There’s an ECU trigger vacuum “solenoid” which opens that plenum under given parameters. 

You are correct. One long line goes to the three-way splitter, but there is also a shorter line which isn’t connected to anything, (at the moment) and maybe was connected to possibly the plenum?

Just now, phazed said:

You are correct. One long line goes to the three-way splitter, but there is also a shorter line which isn’t connected to anything, (at the moment) and maybe was connected to possibly the plenum?

The shorter one comes off before the splitter and go to a check valve before it continues into the rubber bellow 

Rubber bellow? One of the joiners to the plenum? If so, to the tee piece plenum?
So stupid not to remember where it went.

👍 thank you so much. I should be in the garage tomorrow morning continuing.

• Like 1

OK, this is getting silly! Please tell me what plugs in to this single green wire...

This is the trouble when you dismantle things weeks before and leave them.

QSzagdP.jpg

No wonder I couldn’t find where it goes to as I have removed the air-conditioning compressor!

Thank you again.

4 hours ago, phazed said:

This is the trouble when you dismantle things weeks before and leave them.

I thought it was all back together and on the road? Problems?

Nope. Was going well but decided to take it apart to fit the bigger throttle body, airbox, and associated pipework. Was it worth it ???

5 hours ago, phazed said:

Nope. Was going well but decided to take it apart to fit the bigger throttle body, airbox, and associated pipework. Was it worth it ???

Is it driving better?

12 minutes ago, phazed said:

Hi Graham. It is not quite back together yet…

Still tinkering   :stickprod:  😉

It was a real struggle to get both manifold on, fuel, rails, injectors, a plethora of wiring, there is a vacuum point work and probably other stuff to die. Can’t recall right now back in position in a tight space.

It was a real struggle to get both manifolds on, fuel rails, injectors, a plethora of wiring, a lot of vacuum pipework and probably other stuff i can’t recall right now back in position in a tight space.

I could have put my old TVR V8 back in the engine bay and connected it up in less time!

Probably practice makes perfect, but I don’t want to do that again for a very long time, if at all 😁

I thought that diagram I found on the web might be useful for anyone in the same position.

44 minutes ago, phazed said:

I thought that diagram I found on the web might be useful for anyone in the same position.

Good diagram, it is fiche 108-05 (for 2.5) or 108-06 (for 2.7/3.2) from the parts catalogue.  I just wish I understood what it all does...

Exactly. If it doesn’t do much, why not remove it now. Get rid of the air pump and all the tubing. Cap off any open ends. Will that actually make any difference for our MOT tests?

1 minute ago, phazed said:

Exactly. If it doesn’t do much, why not remove it now. Get rid of the air pump and all the tubing. Cap off any open ends. Will that actually make any difference for our MOT tests?

Whether or not it affects the MOT test is probably "secondary" (sorry) to the likely ECU errors caused by the missing equipment.

You can of course get the engine mapped and as part of that have the ECU updated to ignore the missing equipment.