insurance renewal

Dario

Okay just had renewal in from Esure. They want £530. Fully comp protected NCB, including legal cover and personal cover but no cover for driving abroad. The car is kept in a brick garage and is on a restricted mileage policy of 5k pa.

I am 48 with full ncb.

Ah yes it's 05 3.2s specced to the hilt ( cost 55k new).

My question. How does this compare with what fellow members have cover/cost wise ?

I have tried the comparison websites and they are similar or more than my renewal.

Thanks Dario. :worried_anim:

I think that is rather high unless premiums have increased a lot in the last 9 months. When I renewed in July 10 I paid around £350 for full ncb + no fault accident last year, garaged in Oxford, 15k miles/y, some business use, professional safety engineer, 986S and I am aged 51. Quote was obtained through Confused.com, I think, and was with Liverpool Victoria.

Do you live in a risky area or have a unfavourable occupation?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all - this is my first ever post....and I'm not even a Boxster owner yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow) - but what I have got is an intricate knowledge of insurance (Im the head of motoring at the UK's leading comparison site) - so I'll try and be as independent here as possible

Firstly, all insurance prices have gone up over the last 12 months. Our research shows that on average the typical premium has increased by 36% - this fluctuates between 7% for over 60 women and 51% for 17 - 25 year old. So, you may be lucky and get away with a slight drop in your premium from last year, but typically you will see a price increase.

Now, to get your premiums down the first thing I would advise is go on to the three top comparison sites:

1 Money Supermarket

2 GoCompare

3 Confused.com

now these will all get you a basic quote (ie they dont allow you enter limitations such as limited mileage) but what it will do is get you the best price for a standard policy. I reckon you will get a cheaper price than what you have already.

The next thing to do (once you have your quotes) is play around with them to try and find the best deal - this is not illegal - changing things like your age, convictions etc is illegal.

things to look at are:

have you got the right job title? this can have a big affect on your premiums. make sure its accurate, but there are probably 3 job titles that describe what I do, and they all have 3 different risk ratings.

add an additional driver - potentially one with an equally good or better driving record. Insurance companies assume that with an additional driver they will drive the car 30% of the time. If they have a better record than you then thats 30% of your driving that will be at a lower risk, and therefore lower premiums

be careful about keeping the car in a garage - some insurers actually increase premiums for staying in a garage. Theft of cars is actually quite low, however damage from trying to put the car in the garage, and things in the garage falling on your car when its in there is a little higher! so, try with and without

select your mileage carefully - i know its always said to pick low mileage, but some insurers actually give you a discount for high mileage! they assume that if you drive loads, then you are better at it than someone who only does 5k per year - therefore you get lower premiums.

finally - when you have done all that then you should do the following.......though it kills me to say this, and it means we dont get paid.....but you should check out some of the better cashback sites - quidco and cashback kings

some insurers offer a cash back, so when you have found the best deal through the comparison sites, buy them through the cashback site and get your cashback. some insurers offer £100 cashback - so its well worth it.

all in all, you should be able to get a better deal!

hope that helps.....and hello by the way!

Hello all - this is my first ever post....and I'm not even a Boxster owner yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow) - but what I have got is an intricate knowledge of insurance...

That immediately improves your welcome! In fact, have 12 months membership for the price of 10...

have you got the right job title? this can have a big affect on your premiums. make sure its accurate...

The problem there is that most of us have no idea what all the different titles are - especially when trying to apply by phone - and what's better and what isn't. Its not exactly an outstanding example of clarity by the insurance industry, is it?

be careful about keeping the car in a garage - some insurers actually increase premiums for staying in a garage.

Now that is interesting and I wouldn't have expected that.

finally - when you have done all that then you should do the following.......though it kills me to say this, and it means we dont get paid.....but you should check out some of the better cashback sites - quidco and cashback kings

That's you fired tomorrow then... :guiltysmiley:

and now for post number 2

Thanks for the responses spyderman8 have a look at this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

this will help you with the job titles. There is a general industry standard job title list - that's extends to over 10,000 job titles. Most of them are on here..... by the way, just for fun some of the comparison sites put in odd titles just for laughs - try a search for Chicken Chaser - a notable nod to Rocky (and the Fable game if you are a gamer)

and yes - that probably is me fired......any jobs going?

thanks for the welcome by the way!

D

and now for post number 2

Thanks for the responses spyderman8 have a look at this

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

this will help you with the job titles. There is a general industry standard job title list - that's extends to over 10,000 job titles. Most of them are on here..... by the way, just for fun some of the comparison sites put in odd titles just for laughs - try a search for Chicken Chaser - a notable nod to Rocky (and the Fable game if you are a gamer)

and yes - that probably is me fired......any jobs going?

thanks for the welcome by the way!

D

Isn't a Chicken Chaser a moped of 50cc or less ?

I'm currently getting renewal quotes, and was told to try Aviva and Direct Line separately as they are not part of any price comparison websites. You are fully qualified to tell me I am wrong on that ! :rolleyes_anim:

As it happens Aviva come out the cheapest for me at £580 (independently) with Admiral next £630 via a price comparison.

47year old, 2006 987 'S', 6000 miles/annum, LU6 postcode, company director (no chickens).

However the main thing I have found is that messing around with the voluntary excess on the websites varies the premium considerably (by as much as £150 cheaper, but then the total excess goes over £1000 which could cost dear if 2 or 3 incidents in the same year).

I ends up being a premium/excess balance for me. The compulsory excess often starts quite high to begin with, e.g. £500 with Aviva.

Hope this helps (someone).

Welcome, and I hope you are now a proud owner!

Mousewise

yes absolutely try aviva and direct line separately - although both brands say they don't appear on comparison sites its only Direct line that actually dont. Aviva appear in everything other than name on comparison sites - ie they actually just package up their policies and sell them under insurance brokers brands.

Just out of interest (although I think insurance is only interesting to me) aviva came off comparison sites because they were uncompetitive and were getting no business from them and were getting slated in the press - which makes it odd that they are cheapest for you....but fair play if they are!

Direct line dont appear on comparison sites (at the moment!) because its a strategic position by RBS - ie they have every other brand they own on comparison sites, but they like to keep one foot out of the party....which is Direct Line. But it may be sold in the near future, which will likely mean they appear on comparison sites

ps as another job to check out have a look for chicken sexer.......although it sounds like a made up job, its actually real! now thats a sad day in the office, trying to work out if a chick is a boy or a girl!

Hello all - this is my first ever post....and I'm not even a Boxster owner yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow) - but what I have got is an intricate knowledge of insurance (Im the head of motoring at the UK's leading comparison site) - so I'll try and be as independent here as possible

Firstly, all insurance prices have gone up over the last 12 months. Our research shows that on average the typical premium has increased by 36% - this fluctuates between 7% for over 60 women and 51% for 17 - 25 year old. So, you may be lucky and get away with a slight drop in your premium from last year, but typically you will see a price increase.

Now, to get your premiums down the first thing I would advise is go on to the three top comparison sites:

1 Money Supermarket

2 GoCompare

3 Confused.com

now these will all get you a basic quote (ie they dont allow you enter limitations such as limited mileage) but what it will do is get you the best price for a standard policy. I reckon you will get a cheaper price than what you have already.

The next thing to do (once you have your quotes) is play around with them to try and find the best deal - this is not illegal - changing things like your age, convictions etc is illegal.

things to look at are:

have you got the right job title? this can have a big affect on your premiums. make sure its accurate, but there are probably 3 job titles that describe what I do, and they all have 3 different risk ratings.

add an additional driver - potentially one with an equally good or better driving record. Insurance companies assume that with an additional driver they will drive the car 30% of the time. If they have a better record than you then thats 30% of your driving that will be at a lower risk, and therefore lower premiums

be careful about keeping the car in a garage - some insurers actually increase premiums for staying in a garage. Theft of cars is actually quite low, however damage from trying to put the car in the garage, and things in the garage falling on your car when its in there is a little higher! so, try with and without

select your mileage carefully - i know its always said to pick low mileage, but some insurers actually give you a discount for high mileage! they assume that if you drive loads, then you are better at it than someone who only does 5k per year - therefore you get lower premiums.

some insurers offer a cash back, so when you have found the best deal through the comparison sites, buy them through the cashback site and get your cashback. some insurers offer £100 cashback - so its well worth it.

all in all, you should be able to get a better deal!

hope that helps.....and hello by the way!

Very interesting info. Especially to garage or not to garage. Need renewal on 05 Merc E500 Sport AMG in next few days. In addition to what you have said it appears that vol excess is a major factor in the calculations. Usually LV come out best for both my cars (03 Box 3.2S is other) and has the bonus of a 5% discount for 2 cars. This is with their default setting of £250 vol excess + £150 compulsory excess. Zeroing vol excess puts LV off the radar. On the other hand driveway as opposed to garage is £6 more.

Also, probably not relevant to most on this site as I dare say not many would be looking for 3rd party only insurance is the fact 3rd party is almost impossible to get with anyone you have ever heard of. I tried just to see the difference on confused.com and most known insurers didn't even appear in the list at all. The best quote was from some Mickey Mouse firm I'd never heard of and was double my fully comp quote!

My quotes for merc + boxster seem cheaper this year which seems to fly in the face of current trends.

Also due is AA renewal. Which breakdown cover do forum members recommend ? I intend Boxing in Euro very soon so would appreciate members experiences and cost effectiveness. LV offer extended fully comp Euro insurance for an additional £20 which I will probably take.

Must go and take hard top off the Box while sun is out!

John B

• 4 weeks later...

For comparison, have been quoted £347 for renewal of our policy by Footman James (insurer is Royal & Sun Alliance).

Classic policy, self + wife in late '40's; 3k ltd mileage (about £80 more to go to 5k), £100 excess, European cover and breakdown inc., no ncb accumulating, but have full protected ncb on main car.

Other quotes are at least £100 higher (from firms never heard of before) or/and have much higher excesses.

Bid

For comparison, have been quoted £347 for renewal...

Not fair. Mine is £680 and I certainly don't get any breakdown cover, let alone European cover.

Yes, £100 total excess. Have double-checked all the documents they say to check, but will triple check back home tonight in case there's a micro-dot somewhere.

Just insured my 1999 3.2S with Bradford and Bingley via Quotezone who tend to be cheaper than the other comparision websites

Details

Male

Age 53

NCB 9 years

No convictions

Annual Mileage 7k

Put my g/f on the quote and took the advice as to job title etc and managed to get to £323 with a £300 excess

For comparison, have been quoted £347 for renewal of our policy by Footman James (insurer is Royal & Sun Alliance).

Classic policy, self + wife in late '40's; 3k ltd mileage (about £80 more to go to 5k), £100 excess, European cover and breakdown inc., no ncb accumulating, but have full protected ncb on main car.

Other quotes are at least £100 higher (from firms never heard of before) or/and have much higher excesses.

Bid

That is very good, and will be my target price. My renewal is coming soonish. Last year, I paid £400 with Admiral.

Triple-checked the excess, it is £100 total. If we were under 25 a further £150 excess would apply.

Undoubtedly the fact it's a classic policy (10 yr+ car) and low limited mileage has a big effect. An unlimited mileage policy with FJ on the Corrado we previously owned had a £250 excess, and was only £60 cheaper.

The European and breakdown cover (legal protection too) are good features too.

Mazdaman got a vg quote there - more recent car and higher mileage allowance.

Archived