Insurance Co's taking the p***

Just got my rnewal quote from Liverpool Victoria and it is £6 cheaper than last year at £364. I wasn't expecting that given the gneral trend for increased premiums compared to 2010.

Just noticed that the protected no claims discount has been changed to a no claims discount guarantee which means that I can keep my discount no matter how many claims I make :bana:

Check the small prints. A big discount off a massively inflated price can result in a much higher price than a smaller discount off a competitive price. I hope I am wrong in this instance but it sounds so much like the oldest trick in the book ! :suicide_anim:

Sorry, but I do not understand your point. I have a no claims discount of around 80% and this cannot be affected by any claims, whereas before I was limited to 2 claims in 5 years., after which I would lose my no claims. I understand that even in a no fault accident insurance companies will put up your premium the next year becasue you are viewed as an increased risk. Each year I check that my renewal premium is competetive taking in to account the exess amouint and extras such as legal insurance. In my case other insurance companies quotes with the normal protected no claims bonus weren't significantly cheaper.

So lets get this straight:

You're involved in an accident, it was your fault, you make a claim but because of the NCD your premium doesn't increase.

You're involved in an accident, you weren't at fault, you don't make a claim - but they increase your premium.

They're avin a larf. :confused:

One thing that's become apparent - you should change your insurer every year!

Just got my rnewal quote from Liverpool Victoria and it is £6 cheaper than last year at £364. I wasn't expecting that given the gneral trend for increased premiums compared to 2010.

Just noticed that the protected no claims discount has been changed to a no claims discount guarantee which means that I can keep my discount no matter how many claims I make :bana:

Check the small prints. A big discount off a massively inflated price can result in a much higher price than a smaller discount off a competitive price. I hope I am wrong in this instance but it sounds so much like the oldest trick in the book ! :suicide_anim:

Sorry, but I do not understand your point. I have a no claims discount of around 80% and this cannot be affected by any claims, whereas before I was limited to 2 claims in 5 years., after which I would lose my no claims. I understand that even in a no fault accident insurance companies will put up your premium the next year becasue you are viewed as an increased risk. Each year I check that my renewal premium is competetive taking in to account the exess amouint and extras such as legal insurance. In my case other insurance companies quotes with the normal protected no claims bonus weren't significantly cheaper.

Yes if the actual price remains competitive year on year then you're OK. My point was that insurance company could say you will keep your 80% discount but the basic price BEFORE discount could double because of a claim, rendering the actual price much higher (despite you not losing your % discount). I hope I am totally wrong !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Started checking today myself.....

12 years NCB, 41 years old and live in the country, 8,000 miles a year max, no claims in last 5 years.

Elephant renewal = £641 (10 months)

Liverpool Victoria = £715

Cheapest on Confused.com = £620

Admiral = £650

Swiftcover = £485 + requires Tracker

How some of you get it for under £400 baffles me

Started checking today myself.....

12 years NCB, 41 years old and live in the country, 8,000 miles a year max, no claims in last 5 years.

Elephant renewal = £641 (10 months)

Liverpool Victoria = £715

Cheapest on Confused.com = £620

Admiral = £650

Swiftcover = £485 + requires Tracker

How some of you get it for under £400 baffles me

Give Adrian Flux a call. Cheapest for me and with protected no claims. No tracker required unlike Swiftcover who were next cheapest

Postcode makes a big difference, see here.

That is crazy, I live on a private estate in SN12 and its as medium risk. My office is 10mins 6miles down the road in SN15 and is Low risk.

I'm 39, a company director, held a licence for 23 years and in those 23 years I've had one accident last year, it's a long story but i reversed into an old 5 series and did about £1000 worth of damage in total to both vehicles. I have protected nine plus years of no claims discount. My wife is also on the policy with no accidents etc and plenty of sports car experience Z3 and TT (not proper sports cars I know). No Points on either licence.

I have just had these quotes for my new purchase 04 Boxster S.

NFU £1489 (currently i spen over 10k per year on insurance with them)

Admiral £950 (£500 excess)

Direct Line £776 (£500 excess)

Tesco £646 (£300 excess)

Will be calling Sky, Brindle and as many others as I can to get below £500 at least.

Hi m4tt.

I know it's hard work and every year we have to go through this, :competitive: one day someone is going to switch on that if they keep the premium fair we would stay with them to save the hassle of all this looking around :shiftyeyes_anim:

But then again sometimes when you do look around you can get a good deal :money: so I suppose there will be no change when mine comes up for renewal. :tired:

Guvs.

Hope this helps, ways I found getting a better quote after a cheeky chat with an independent.

This may not work for all but it sort of worked for me.

If you have good no claims make sure you protect it.

1, Add the wife and list her as the main driver.

2, Play the companies off against each other, start by using comparison web sites to get cheap quotes then use theses figures to get a better price from private firms.

3, Never disclose the real figures and try to get add extras for free (see the quote I accepted).

4, Limit mileage if possible

5, Tell them you DO NOT want to pay any voluntary excess, this will allow you to get premium down when negotiating by offering to add a voluntary excess. I used it in the opposite way as I wanted to get the excess down by £250 only cost an additional £40 per year.

Things that made no difference.

1, Keeping in a garage.

2, Commuting to work.

The small print.

1, Check total cost per year inc APR if not paying in a lump sum (12% is about the norm).

2, Check you have legal expenses included.

3, Some companies are now charging £50 to make changes eg. plate change, additional drivers etc.

4, Repairs using recycled parts or non genuine.

I followed my guide above and decided to choose Brindles. My reason was not on cost in the end but service and a great big freebee. 5 days track day insurance included (not sure i will use them but it was £3 more expensive than the cheapest quote i got). :smile_anim:

Brindles premium was beaten by a couple of other companies.

Tesco were the lowest after I adjusted the quote as above. Not a chance get enough of our hard earned cash, 1 in 3 pound spent on the high street is spent here :end_of_discction:

Sky. Very good service great price but no track days. :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck and disclose everything.

Hope this helps, ways I found getting a better quote after a cheeky chat with an independent.

This may not work for all but it sort of worked for me.

If you have good no claims make sure you protect it.

1, Add the wife and list her as the main driver.

2, Play the companies off against each other, start by using comparison web sites to get cheap quotes then use theses figures to get a better price from private firms.

3, Never disclose the real figures and try to get add extras for free (see the quote I accepted).

4, Limit mileage if possible

5, Tell them you DO NOT want to pay any voluntary excess, this will allow you to get premium down when negotiating by offering to add a voluntary excess. I used it in the opposite way as I wanted to get the excess down by £250 only cost an additional £40 per year.

Things that made no difference.

1, Keeping in a garage.

2, Commuting to work.

The small print.

1, Check total cost per year inc APR if not paying in a lump sum (12% is about the norm).

2, Check you have legal expenses included.

3, Some companies are now charging £50 to make changes eg. plate change, additional drivers etc.

4, Repairs using recycled parts or non genuine.

I followed my guide above and decided to choose Brindles. My reason was not on cost in the end but service and a great big freebee. 5 days track day insurance included (not sure i will use them but it was £3 more expensive than the cheapest quote i got). :smile_anim:

Brindles premium was beaten by a couple of other companies.

Tesco were the lowest after I adjusted the quote as above. Not a chance get enough of our hard earned cash, 1 in 3 pound spent on the high street is spent here :end_of_discction:

Sky. Very good service great price but no track days. :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck and disclose everything.

Thanks for taking the time to write that, and I hope it helps not only me at renewal time :thumbsup_anim:

Guvs.

• 3 months later...

Had my renewal through for my 986 s.

Was with Direct line and this year was £150 cheaper at £378.

That was until I told them about my 5 week ban for speeding at the begining of the year.First of they would not,and will still not beleive that my SP30 was just a ban and no points.Then they told me that with a standard SP30 my premium would increase by £200.

I have had other quotes at around £500 so will try the forum sponsers tomorrow.

Archived