Holy cr*p!! Insurance for 17 yr old!

trev

My daughter is 17 in July 2012.

Started to look at getting her into driving and looking at what to buy, insurance costs etc.

Just done a quote on go compare..

Ford Ka, £800 worth.

17 yrs old, test passed.

Fully comp £5500

Tpft. £4400

Who the fek can afford those prices!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daughter is 17 in July 2012.

Started to look at getting her into driving and looking at what to buy, insurance costs etc.

Just done a quote on go compare..

Ford Ka, £800 worth.

17 yrs old, test passed.

Fully comp £5500

Tpft. £4400

Who the fek can afford those prices!!!

That's just taking the P-ss,

Welcome to the 'my children are learning to drive and need a car' club :thumbsup_still::sad01_anim:

Yes it is scary - we ended up with Admiral for our lad's 2nd insured year. Can't remember his 1st premium (was with LV) exactly but the car (1.2 Punto 53 plate low spec 8 valve version) and the insurance came to around £5k roughly 50/50 split give or take.

What I found really p*ss taking was on Compare the cheapest is around whatever horrendous figure but there's some other firms where its 8k or more!!! I can live with an insurer saying we don't cover that segment of the market, but quoting stupid figures.........

DVLA's blurb says a learner should have around 40 odd hours of tuition to pass the test, so lessons, test costs, a car and insurance? Depends how expensive a car, but you could be allowing say £5k easily?

Worth shopping around etc etc - remember some don't subscribe to Compare etc , thats how I found LV, who at that time were a few bob cheaper and a 'known' name.

And to depress you entirely you'll have around 8/9 months to go before you insure - and how fast are premiums rising at present? :crying_anim:

Yes, and thats before you've got around to maintaining and fueling the thing!!!

I'm as p*ssed as you 'cos whilst No1 son is 19 and now has 1.5 years NCD, No2 son is only 15 - so in 2 years time what cost then?

I guess it explains rightly or wrongly why there's so many uninsureds out there - or at least some of them. Pity the kids who live in a rural area with naff all public transport and need to get to college or work.

Trev, just some things you may not have tried. Put you and your wife down as named drivers. In fact the more experienced named drivers on the policy, the cheaper it will work out as it will dilute you duaghter's element.

Also try Diamond, Elephant, Admiral (all the same company really). In my experience they are the cheapest for young drivers. My 18 year old girl has a Group 4 Peugeot and pays £840 F/C.

My stepson has just insured his bm 325 L plate.Car only cost him 1k. Hes 23 and cost him £3200. 3rd party.This is another reason the country is in a mess . every thing has just got to expensive.Said it before insurance is a llegal con .

theres this driver monitor thing with some of the companies where they install it into the car and it measures G forces etc. After a couple of months of good behaviour the premium comes down. Just a thought and worth investigating. Totally agree it is ridiculous how much they are charging we are going to end up with a generation of +30 year old first time drivers and it only bumps the experience problem down the road a bit.

There might be something on IAM for young drivers - try IAM Surety - if your a member. Im a member but did my test and shot through - aint interested in hanging around people who want to argue road law all day.

Not heard of Tiger....

Insured in my name with wife and daughter as named drivers, with my daughter named as main driver, it's £2000 while she has a provisional licence.

As soon as she passes her test, it jumps to £4500, so no gain!

It was cheaper for girls than boys and they were suppose to be evening things out. Just think they have doubled girls premiums and not halved boys

Well worth a good trawl and even speaking to them direct

Good luck

It what we did with our eldest Got them learning As they proggressed looked for a car that was affordable to issuer , not insure an affordable car

Trouble is u want a car new enough that they're safe in

Lots of good ideas here.

Pass plus is one option as well.

She is my youngest child so won't have it to do again.

The things you do for your kids.

Worst case scenario is I give up car usage so I can afford hers!

Would mean using the bike for work, wouldn't be good.

Couple of points, can you spread the cost into monthly installments, we pay our car insurances on rolling monthly programmes.

I'm not advocating this but it's cheaper to drive uninsured and pay the fine if caught. I keep bangin on about this but make sure whatever you buy is at least 4 star NCAP, my friend's 17 year old son died in a crash. You want to know if the worse happens they have the best possible chance.

Also some car companies give a years free insurance if buying new, I know Citroen did, that way you get a brand new car with 5 star safety and no insurance cost for the first year.

Finally why do I have to pay insurance on 2 cars when I can only drive one at once, why not insure me rather than the car, bloody scam insurance. Wife's car got keyed the other day, drivers door only, 1 year old Fiesta Ford want £600 to spray they claim they have to spray the whole side to ensure the paint matches - wtf they make the car can't they match the paint. Sorry I'm ranting again, I'll sit in the corner and suck my thumb.

My daughter's first car 2 years ago aged 18 - £750 Corsa, TPFT through Endsleigh £1400. After 1 year dropped to £900 which was quite a surprise. Now just dropped to £450 which is amazing! :wish: Only £70 more than my Boxster S, but then I am a little bit older.....

Wife's car got keyed the other day, drivers door only, 1 year old Fiesta Ford want £600 to spray they claim they have to spray the whole side to ensure the paint matches - wtf they make the car can't they match the paint. Sorry I'm ranting again, I'll sit in the corner and suck my thumb.

Total boll*cks...tell them to get a proper paint sprayer to to do the job. I've had a metallic car done several times...wheel arch....rear bumper...scratch on the boot. Perfect job everytime. A decent sprayer could blow over a door for about £250.00 tops (up 'ere in the north anyway). :closedeyes:

Im not sure who, but i understand that you can have a curfew on the policy, i think that they put a tracking box in the car and monitor the times of use. Either so many hours, or only certain times of day the car can be used.

I will try and remember where i read about this and let you know if i find it...may be an idea to ask about this, as im sure they would not be to forward in reducing the price!.

I also think there is an option of pay by mile!!

Archived